Virtual Private Networking

Craig

Hi all,

I want to be able to send and receive data files between my laptop and desktop computer while on the move and think a VPN is the way to go.

Can someone help me with the setup as I have never used a VPN before.

Both machines are using Windows XP Professional and will both be connected to the internet via Broadband connections.

My machines are also behind Netgear Routers.

If you need any further information, please let me know!

Craig.

Hi Craig,

You'll want to VPN to one of the Routers, then use Remote Desktop to connect to the actual PC behind the Router. What kind of Routers, if you don't mind posting that information? If you're not comfortable posting it, please PM me.

It would be like this:

PC1 --> Router1 --> VPN/Internet --> Router2 --> PC2

VPN----------------------------------------->

(VPN Tunnel from PC1 to Router2)

Once the VPN's established, it would look like this to PC1 and PC2

PC1 --> PC2 (via Remote Desktop).

In order to be able to do it either way, you'd need both Routers to be capable of accepting VPN's.

Another way to do it is to punch a hole in your Router/Firewall by doing a static NAT mapping, but this can expose the mapped PC to the Internet. You would only want to allow traffic from the specific IP of the remote router. This solutions is less secure, and VPN is the way to go if you can.

Hope this post doesn't have you scratching your head wondering what I'm talking about! :confused: