XP Pro box won't join workgroup

Sentry

I am trying to set up an XP Pro box (with SP2) on a workgroup network consisting of a Win2K file server, and two Win2K workstations along with a couple Win98 machines.

I have tried everything I can think of to get this XP box on the network. It's running Netbios over TCP/IP, DHCP, and I've tried using the wizard and not using the wizard to get it on the network. No matter what I did I kept getting the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx internal address that it assigns when it can't a see a network.

In a fit of desperation I applied a set IP address. I can now use the network to get out on the internet, I can ping other machines on the network, other machines can see the XP pro box, but it will not share network resources. It won't join the workgroup. It says that I don't have permission or authority to do so.

I'm using an existing account that worked perfectly on a Win98 machine (the xp box is replacing the Win98 box.)

Any ideas? What am I missing? I'm more of a Linux guy and I'm really starting to hate XP.

Thanks.

The box that is issusing the DHCP IP's have you checked to make sure that it has a big enough pool of IP addreses to issues to all the PC's?? They can be set up say to issue IP addresses from say 192.168.1.20 to 192.168.1.25 and if you have 6 computers on the network you have a problem (don't forget printservers if they are dhcp).

Also check that "Computer Browser" is running in services Control panel >> Adminastrative tools >> services, if not start it and try adding to the workgroup again.

Tim