printing over vpn

monikas

hello,

I am having 2 win xp pro sp2 machines. the one is configured to accept incoming vpn connections (1723 port forwarded on the router), and the second machine uses native xp vpn client to connect to the first machine. it looks like everything is working ok: i can see and browse network shares, see shared printers; but the problem is that i can't print on the shared printer. when i'm trying to connect to the shared printer i got error message:

"windows cannot connect to the printer. either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server"

What's the printer's share name? Try to access the printer by going to Start, Run, and typing \\pcname\printername in the Run box. (replace pcname and printername with the actual PC's Network Name, and the Printer's Share Name.

To find these, right click on My Computer, select Properties, then click the Computer Name tab. Write down the Computer Name.

post-1455-1108257120_thumb.jpg

To find the Printer's Share Name, go to Start, Printers and Faxes, and right click on the shared printer then select Properties. Click on the Sharing tab and write down the name next to Share this printer.

post-1455-1108257390_thumb.jpg

Once you have that information, do the above (in my examples, \\pcc-xp\microso). See what happens when you try that.