New Employee Wreaks Havoc

xakep

Besides my primary duties, I am an unofficial network manager at the office. We have a network of 14 excellent-working 98e, 4 XPpros, 1 2000pro, all on a smooth working NT server and a separate file server.

Recently a new employee without consulting with me or with the official network supervisor, created for himself a new account on one of the XPpro machines. This action did not give him anything except use of some of the applications. He could not access internet nor the file server. This action also caused the primary account on the PC to be in the same predicament.

After being told of this, and the network manager being unavailable, I made a wild :rolleyes: but educated guess and, in the primary account’s Win Explorer, mapped the drive with this expression

\\Server1\Apps

which worked 99% wonders for the primary account. The 1% problem is that it can no longer browse inside other PCs – the function that every one of the 98e machines still enjoys. But the secondary, new account is still shut off from the file server as well as Internet. Mapping by the above-used method proved useless for the secondary account.

The owner of the primary account will not share the password with the new guy. The network manager is available by phone, hereby useless.

Any ideas how to return the PC browsing and connect the secondary account?

If I understand you right, he made himself a local account on the XP machine? He should not have been able to make a domain account without the Administrator's help, so it must have been a local account.

If that's the case, the XP machine may no longer be logging into the Domain. You'll want to have the XP Pro computer rejoin the domain. Right click on My Computer, go to Properties, and in the System Properties window that opens, click on the Computer Name tab. Click on the Change button and make sure Member of is selected, and make sure your domain is listed.

Joining the Domain (or in this case re-joining the Domain) will require a Domain Administrator logon.

Let me know if this helps!

Joining the Domain (or in this case re-joining the Domain) will require a Domain Administrator logon.

The Domain Admin being the official network manager changing the setting from the affected WinXP machine? Or changing the settings also from the NT server?

In any case I don't have any access to Net Manager's passwords.