Change the Password for Microsoft Networking

Quintus

I need to change the Password for Microsoft Networking (not the Windows user)

I have three computers networked by a Linksys Cable Router with a 4-port switch. During booting a dialog box asks to “Enter Network Password”. I want to change the passwords (there are none now) but have not been able to find out how this is done. I have checked “Windows Me Bible”, “Windows Me QUE” and “Home Networking for Dummies”, and to my surprise there is no procedure covered for this in any of these books. One of them indicates that this is possible, but I could not find the explanation.

Neither of the three machines have been set up with a password for Microsoft Networking now. My children have become very good at contaminating with all sorts of adware and spyware. I want to prevent them from logging to the Internet from my machine. Since there is no password required now, they simple press enter and voila.

Unfortunately, I know of no native (built-in) way to control access that with Windows Me. With 2000, or XP, you have the ability to lock someone out of the system if they don't log in. With Me, all they have to do is hit escape at the password screen, and they're in anyway. Are all of the machines Me?

Thanks. Yes all the machines have ME. Somebody pointed me to ControlPanel/Passwoeds/ChangePasswords/ChangeOtherPasswords. Reading the books I realized that this exactly what I am suppossed to. But my problem now is that the "other passwords" button is not active and I cannot follow that procedure. How frustrating.

Any ideas how to make it active ?

Maybe a change in the Registry ?

Not done that. I will check

I am starting to believe that unless you put a password when loading the OS, you cannot add one later. Also, I have not set any users. As it is now, anybody can use the machines without limitations. I do not mind that. What I want is to prevent my kids from messing up my machine. It takes them just a few minutes to contaminate it with ad/spyware. I have cleaned theirs several times.

I have a spare hard drive and I will load Windows this time entering a password when the dialog box for Network Password appears. Then I will check if OtherPasswords is active.

Somebody pointed me to a site <windowsnetworking.com> that looks promising.