DHCP Problem

Hi all

I have a DLink DSL-300G+ ADSL ethernet modem and Windows XP Pro.

I have recently started getting problems with my connection. Every now and again, the conection will drop - then come back up.

Within the log files in Event viewer, a DHCP error occurs at every one of these "outs". The error reads :

DHCP ERROR (1002)

The IP address lease xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for the Network Card with network address *********** has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.0.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

192.168.0.1 is the modem.

Does anyone know what's causing this, or any remedies.

Thanks a lot

What Operating System is the PC? (This helps me determine how to help you obtain some information).

I'll assume XP. If it's different, please let me know.

It sounds like either your DHCP lease is running out and not being renewed, or the router's having problems.

To check the length of time for the DHCP lease, please go to Start, Run, and type cmd, then hit Enter.

In the Command Window that opens, type ipconfig /all. You'll get output like the following:

2 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : Intel 8255x-based Integrated Fast Ethernet

Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-08-02-34-23-95

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.202.37

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.202.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.202.11

Primary WINS Server . . . . : 192.168.202.11

Secondary WINS Server . . . :

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 05 18 05 7:55:31 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 05 28 05 7:55:31 AM

Take a look at the Lease Obtained, and Lease Expires settings and note the interval between them (In this example, 10 days). The PC will attempt to renew the lease for the IP address after 1/2 of the time expires (In 5 days in this example). If it is not allowed to renew the lease, it keeps trying until the lease expires. Once the lease expires, the PC may give up it's IP and not be able to obtain a new one (if the DHCP Server, your DSL-300G+ ADSL in this case, is having problems, the lease won't renew).

In either case, the problem probably lies with your DSL-300G+ ADSL, but if you have access to the Router, you could try increasing the lease time. Do you own it and have access to it, or is it owned by your Internet Service Provider?

You might try calling the ISP if it's owned by them, and see whether they can check it out.

Thanks for the reply.

Well....

The time difference between the Lease Obtained and Lease Expires is exactly 1 minute !

My ISP is Pipex and I am using Windows XP.

The DSL-300G+ is an ADSL Modem (I own it, it's in front of me)

There is no facility to increase the lease time on it.

The lease times have always been the same on this modem (I remember checking this a year or so ago - must be Pipex or the way the modem works.)

Do you think it's a faulty modem, or a problem at the exchange?

P.S

I've asked this in another post, but I can't run IPCONFIG unless I CD (change directory) to the system32 folder. %systemroot%\system32 is in the PATH in Environment variables.

That's an incredibly short lease time! 24 hours is a short lease time, but one minute!?

I'd call your ISP and let them know about the problem. I suspect it's with the inside interface of the DSL Modem. Your PC won't have problems renewing its IP because of a problem with the outside interface of the DSL Modem.

That's a strange problem about ipconfig too. Can you execute other executables from outside the directory?

You might try changing the PATH to c:\WINNT\System32 instead of %systemroot%\system32.

That's an incredibly short lease time!  24 hours is a short lease time, but one minute!?

I'd call your ISP and let them know about the problem.  I suspect it's with the inside interface of the DSL Modem.  Your PC won't have problems renewing its IP because of a problem with the outside interface of the DSL Modem.

That's a strange problem about ipconfig too.  Can you execute other executables from outside the directory?

You might try changing the PATH to c:\WINNT\System32 instead of %systemroot%\system32.

Thanks for your reply.

It must be the way the modem is setup, or the way Pipex do things (I don't know). I'll mail Pipex and see what they say.

As for the other problem - None of the executables run from the prompt. I'll try now and change %systemroot% to c:\windows and see what happens.

Where is the %systemroot% held? How does my PC know what %systemroot% is? Is this defined somewhere?

Thanks again!

OK

Just checked in "Environment Variables" and found this:

Variable = Path

Value = c:\windows\system32;c:\windows; ....... etc etc

If I click on EDIT, the boxes show :

Variable = Path

Value = %systemroot%\system32;%systemroot%;.. etc etc

So it looks like it's correct !

NOTE - If I run any executable for thr RUN BOX, they work. They don't from the command prompt though (until I route to the system32 folder)

Any other suggestions mate?

Thanks again!