Microsoft and Customer service!

djohn

This is a copy of the post I made to PCA, and to let you know of the service I received from M/Soft. a company that does not always get the praise it deserves at times. ;)

This morning I went to install My O/S after format of drive. I placed Win. XP Pro upgrade in the drive, and then 98se as the qualifying disk. Disk would not read due to damage so the install stopped.

No problem, I thought, I will ring Microsoft and see if it’s possible for them to send another CD, but after reading of other peoples problems concerning similar issues, I didn’t hold much faith in receiving an helpful response, especially when they told me my 98se CD was OEM!

One of the technicians tried to help by talking me through one or two methods of making a copy of the O/S, and also an attempt to transfer cab files to H/Drive and install from there. Non of these worked.

After a couple more phone calls back to Microsoft I was told not to worry, they would send me a new 98se disk free of charge. I left my phone number and address, and was told that someone would also give me a call shortly.

Some fifteen minutes later I received a call from the Customer relations dept. confirming that a CD would be in the post to me today. While talking to the representative he then said, “To save you waiting for the CD to arrive I will give you a new Product key now, and you can then use your upgrade version of XP Pro. As a full version, cutting out the need for the 98se disk, but that will still be sent to you.

We talked for a little longer, then his next statement nearly made me fall off my chair.

We had been discussing the work I do for Age concern, and that I was to help out in the sheltered housing (Where I live), with the teaching of Computers and M/S software. “Which software do you use yourself” and I replied, “Works Suite 2003” but would be trying to help out with Office XP.

“Ok then, because of the problem you have had and the several calls to us, I will also send you a complementary copy of Office XP!

I could not believe what he had just said to me, and I asked if he would repeat what he had said.

“Yes sir, Because of your problems with our software, I will send you a free copy of the retail version, Office XP”.

So after a phone call to ask if it would be possible to replace a damaged 98se CD , Microsoft Gave me a new product key to make an upgrade version of Win. XP Pro. Into a full version, and a fresh 98se Disk in the post, and then a complementary copy of retail version, Office XP.

I have received excellent service from suppliers in the past, “Canon being one of them”, But this has to be the best “Customer service ever” and from Microsoft as well, a company that does at times receive poor press. J.

Do they have money to through away at MS?!

Giving away product keys and Office XP suites, what next, buy one get one free on selected products?!

I must say a very well done to yourself Djohn and MS.