BIOS Blunder!

Guest whizwrinkly

Guest whizwrinkly

Things are looking up, started afresh this morning and finally got into set-up :D

BUT... hard drive not recognised (I haven't touched this).

When I got into the bios the date had jumped back to 1993, I reset it to today and so far that is all I have interfered with. Any ideas how to get the HD back?

Guest whizwrinkly

<_< All I get now is "Failed to autodetect". The parameters on the disk seem to match the ones on screen, but still wont recognise it even though it has never been touched. Took out the CD Drive I had installed but still same message appears.

Just in case...The ribbon cable, I have put the red line next to power on HD, and same at other end - red line next to power from board. This ok?

pin 1 (indicated by the color stripe along the cable) is plugged into the pin 1 connector on the hard drive. If it's not labled, pin 1 is almost always on the side closest to the power connector.

Guest whizwrinkly

:D Panic over... :rolleyes:

What an embarrasment! After two days of messing about with this I had one last look.

I had checked that the connections were tight on the ribbon cables several times. In the small space I had to get my finger tips into they seemed perfect.

What I failed to notice, until I inspected with a torch, was that I had bent the last two pins flat!

Luckily I bent them back without a break, reconnected, and whoopeee, all OK.

Cant believe a stupid mistake like this caused all the bother.

Sorry to all of you, and thanks for the help offered. :(