Windows Network, three machines, Logon Failure

Akujin

Well i'm sure you have all delt with this before and it is probably some stupid fix.

My brother came down from Seattle for thanksgiving and brought his computer so he and I could LAN, I had to take my mother off the network to put him on it.

The problem is this, we cannot see one another from "View Workgroup Computers", I can log on to him by using \\network-ip-address but he cannot log on to me, instead he gets the infamous "You could not log onto this network resource, you might not have access, contact... blah blah blah" whereas I did give access to "Everyone" for "Access this computer through network" in "Local Secuirty Policy".

How my network is setup:

One machine is a Linux Box running Slackware 9.1 with Samba 5

One machine is running Windows XP Professional SP2

One machine is running Windows XP Home SP2

The IP's have been assigned automatically by my router in the pattern of:

192.168.1.100 -- XP Pro SP2

192.168.1.101 -- Linux Box

192.168.1.102 -- XP Home SP2

I have not had any networking problems with the Pro Box, Linux Box, or my Mothers XP Home box that also runs SP2.

It would be really great to learn how to fix this, it has been a question my friends and I have been asking off and on for a while now when other machines run into this problem.

Hi Akujin,

I'd check to make sure the workgroup name is the same on all PC's, and that on the XP SP2 machines the Windows firewall is temporarily turned off, or that the applicable PC's are allowed through it. Since you can access by IP address, I doubt the firewall is the problem, but no need to excessivly complicate home network troubleshooting by having it on while you test access.

Are you using a router or router/firewall to access the Internet with these computers?