i impart some knowledge to thee windows forum user

two00lbwaster

ok here we got. this is the setup i have running at home.

i recomend http://www.cpucity.co.uk/acatalog/ for the following componants

firstly aquire an abit nf7-s v2.0(i have v1.2 but im looking forward to the v2.0 model not much difference really though)

secondly aquire a 1700+ DLT3C processor

thirdly for adaquet cooling i suggest the thermaltake volcano 11 xaser edition

you will also need 2 sticks of at least pc2700 ram for duel channel operation and thus much better performance

stick said componants together along with removing current setup bits no longer required.

now after updating the bios and hwmonitor etc and getting the latest drivers, reset and enter the bios.

firstly set the motherboard to duel channel mode by entering softmenu setup and setting the cpu fsb/dram ratio to 3/3.

set the external clock to 166mhz, and set the multiplier to 13.5, change the power supply controller to manual and change the cpu vcore to 1.65v.

make sure that the cpu fan is running at least half speed as not to cook your processor.

your nice £45 chip should now be running at 2.25 ghz the fastest athlon yet (the never released 2800+) :) . a good case is essential for good cooling but not to necessary to maintain the overclock as long as you dont let the cpu go over 65degrees which you can monitor in windows with the winbond hardware monitor.

if you arent happy with the temperature or the stability of the processor nocking the multiplier back to 13 and running at 2700+ speeds or multiplier of 12.5 to run at 2600+ speeds.

or getting a barton 2500+ apparently these will run at 200mhz fsb at their default multiplier, which would mean an overclock to a 3200+ the just released top of the range processor from AMD

well hope that helps anyone who was thinking on buying one of the rather expensive processors over the very inexpensive 1700+/2500+ with a nf2 board

note for anyone who is looking at other cheaper nf2 motherboards the abit is the only board that i know of that garentees to unlock the thorougbred xp processors without a need for modification to the chip.

total price for 1700+ overclock £150ish

total price for a 2500+ barton overclock £178

purchace of the 2500+ from here http://secure.addonsonline.co.uk/addon/cod...tid=57&catid=28

yeah i think you might have a hard time it depends on your processor and fan to be honest. number one is if you processor is a palamino, thoroughbred 'a' or thoroughbred 'b' cored processor. if the chip is fairly recent then it might be a thoroughbred 'a' or 'b' chip if its over 6 months then your looking at a very limited range of options for overclocking with the palomino core. next if your fan isnt up to the job then youre gonna have a mighty big problem because you could end up with an unstable system.

an easy way to check to see what type of processor you have is to check your default vcore setting is, 1.75v will mean you have a palamino cored processor which has a fsb limited to 154ish and mod to 2100+(not much of an increase and not worth the risk), next up would be the thoroughbred 'a'&'b' cores both probably running at 1.65 volts and very difficult to find out or not, with this handy little program(edit i'll have to find it ive lost it for now)

My V Core is running at 1.76 (as per PC alert 4 (MSI software)).

I did have a couple of attempts last night at overclocking, but i have never really done it before.

I currently have my FSB set to 133 and everything else on auto (including V Core).

When i go to change V Core manually, some times it works, but sometimes it comes up with weird symbols!

Also i dont have a multiplier of 13.5, i have a multiplier of 12.5/13.0, then 14, 15 etc

I also have three sticks of 256MB PC 2700, so i suppose i can have a go at clocking them too!

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

I was in contact with two00lbwaster tonite and I think he is going to be offline for the next 8 days or so...(work crap)

just thought I'd let you know.

Cheers.

Shirl.

right craig im back cant find that program that i wanted so if you dload wcpuid or cpu-z and tell me the family model and stepping numbers i can work out if its a palimino cored processor which i believe it is. then we can go through the various options that you have for overclocking, although i believe that the palimino 2000+ was reportedly unstable sometimes

• 3 weeks later...

hi here we go. if you are going to get an abit motherboard make sure you get the revision 2.0 version because it allows 333mhz fsb processors to be overclocked to 400mhz ddr of course the revision 1.2 has problems with doing this and becomes unstable but reaches 400mhz fsb with 266mhz fsb processors no problems i have seen mention of 'popping'/cutting one of the L12 bridges to make the 333mhz fsb processors into 266mhz fsb processors.

also its best to get any of the revision 2.0 nf2 motherboards because some of the previous versions of other nf2 boards couldnt support 200mhz fsb