Enable ip routing on Windows XP manually

betash

Hi guys,

I have a Windows XP with two NICs install -- One NIC's ip is 10.1.1.55 and it is connected to an ADSL router; the other one is NetGear Wireless NIC with 192.168.1.1 ip address configured. Now I want to make the Windows XP as AD Hoc by using NetGear wireless NIC and the above IP scheme. Other wireless hosts have successful established wireless connections with NetGear wireless card, but the problem is the XP box could not route ip traffic between two network segments (192.168.1.0 - 10.0.0.0) even I enabled IPEnableRouter in the registry. Any suggestions for enabling Windows XP routing manually?

My network could be illustrated as below:

|----NIC1 (10.1.1.55) ---------------(10.1.1.1) ADSL Modem --------The Internet

Windows XP

|----Netgear wireless card (192.168.1.1) -------))))) Other wireless clients (192.168..1.x)

Thanks in advance.

Betash

What about adding a static route in your routing table? Heres how you could try...

In a command prompt type "route print", that will show you your interfaces and all routes in you routing table. To add a persistent route, which is one that doesn't disappear after a reboot, type "route -p add 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.1.1.1 2" If that doesn't work you may have to add an IF at the end of the command along with the interface number for the destination address (ex. IF 2). The 2 would be the number for your destination address (10.1.1.0 NIC), you can find the number by typing "route print". Help for the command is "route /?" All commands should be used without quotes. Hope it helps.