NEED HELP HERE

madboy33

Just had a look at the site:

Got the nice fancy buttons that spin, with the bottom one being teamsheet. Click on this and it opens up an new windows (eugh annoying pop ups!) and then give it a couple of seconds and it asks if I want to save teamsheet.doc so I say yes, down the file comes and opens up nicely in Word. Look at the file and wonder why on earth it is and so post results here!

Sir Radfordin

what do you mean pop-ups? i have no pop ups on my site at all! do i? well i hope i dont, it may be that bravenet counter which i may get rid of if pop ups are coming from my page.

are you sure that you do not have a cookie installed on your comp by mistake that has a pop-up on it?

madboy33

what do you mean pop-ups?

What I mean is a window that pops up :rolleyes:

Ok, perhaps not in the strict sense of the word is it a pop up, but the code you have used apears to make IE6 want to open the link in a new window. Its not a major problem, but it just makes me remember to turn off the pop-up stopper!

Sir Radfordin

the reason why i did an _blank (open in another page in html) is so that readers of my web page dont have to then press the back button, all they have to do is close that window

Clint2, all you have to do is select open instead of save

the reason why i did an _blank (open in another page in html) is so that readers of my web page dont have to then press the back button, all they have to do is close that window

If my memory serves me correctly, if opening a docuemnt that IE can't handle (IE .doc) then it will pass the prompt for you to open or save it without any problems. You could therefore remove the _blank bit and it shouldn't make any difference. That can depend though on how IE is set up and so perhaps its wise to do what you have. One thing I would say on that however is that I would recomend people save the file before they open it. Reason being is you can then be sure a virus check has run on the file and you haven't opened something you didn't want to. Just so you cover yourself with that bit really.

As for the network prompt box, can't see what you are getting it when I didn't. Most odd!

Don't suppose you could do a screen dump of it so that we can see which box it is thats coming up? It may help to give a clue as to what is going on. The bit of code also used for the link may also help shed some light on the problem.

Guest Slartibartfast

Hi all,

I might be getting the wrong end of the stick here(wouldn't be the first time) , but the reason it's asking you if you want to download is because it is a .doc file, and as such your browser cannot show it.

If you re-save the document as an HTML file, and upload it (of course changing the link so that it points to ebog.html) then it should show up in a seperate window.

Don't have a clue as to why ity's asking for a network password though :unsure:

Cheers ............Slarty B)

Guest Slartibartfast

Madboy33

They can also save the page if it were in html format.

I can't speak for anyone else, but if I were to click on a link in a website, and it prompted me to download a doc I'd think twice about it.

Cheers ........Slarty B)

madboy33:

can't see whay you are the only one who gets asked for the password. I've got documents on PWP at Blueyonder that I can access without any problems. Don't suppose you've got another ISP you can dial up on to check your theory? if you are dialed up on a different account then it shouldn't know you own the site!

Are the other memebers of the club able to access the documents in the same way we can?

Hello madboy33, just to throw the cat among the pidgeons, when I click on the link, your teamsheet simply opens in a new browser window (using IE), I must go and check my settings. If I then save the page, it saves as a doc file, however I get no password box.

Also, you may wish to know, but your site dosn't seem to like my Opera browser. I have attached a screendump of what I get so you can see.

Regards, Mr. Mouse.

post-21-1042214576.jpg