Can't log on to my notebook

I don't know the passwords anymore, it's been so long since I've even seen the notebook. Is there any way to log on to the computer? I don't know too much about computers so I'm lost. I wouldn't know how to restore it or anything like that. I don't think I have anything valuable on that computer so I won't mind erasing everything off of there. I don't have the disk(s) it came with. It's an IBM with Intel Celeron...I'm not even sure what is what! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the Windows Forum!

Do you know what version of Windows is installed on that notebook? If it's Windows 95 or 98 (or ME), then there is no real login - you can just click Cancel, and it will let you in.

However, if it is Windows NT (2000 or XP), then you need to login with the real password - there is no way around it. But all NT systems have an Administrator account (with that name), and most people install Windows with an empty Administrator password. Try to login as 'Administrator' and hit Enter without a password. Most likely you will get in, and then you can alter your user's password.

Welcome to the Windows Forum!

Do you know what version of Windows is installed on that notebook? If it's Windows 95 or 98 (or ME), then there is no real login - you can just click Cancel, and it will let you in.

However, if it is Windows NT (2000 or XP), then you need to login with the real password - there is no way around it. But all NT systems have an Administrator account (with that name), and most people install Windows with an empty Administrator password. Try to login as 'Administrator' and hit Enter without a password. Most likely you will get in, and then you can alter your user's password.

Well...when I turned the notebook on, it said something about F1 and F12...so I tried both of course. I set a password thinking it would bypass the login password...but no. Now when I try to put in that password, it gives me an x as if the password is wrong. I set it to ask for a password when you turn it on and something else, but unfortunately I can't remember. Can I just reset this whole thing or no? Sorry about my lack of knowledge! Oh, and it has Windows 98. It's old, but I need it once in a while.

Thanks again

Ok, so I got it on...just can't sign on. Like I said, I don't think there is anything even important on there. Does anyone know if I can reset the whole notebook without figuring out the password or if there is any way I can get the password because stupid me didn't put a hint on there. Thank you

Try this http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/win9xpv.html - it may reveal your original password. I haven't tried it myself, so I can't guarantee it.

I don't remember much of Win98, but I think in Control Panel | Users you may be able to reset the user password.

I can't get to the control panel because I can't log on.

If you google you'll find a lot. I think the one you would probably want is called ntreset or something like that.

I'll try it. Thanks!