Website begginer.

Guest Damo

Ok folks.....ive been in to pc's for a while now but mostly playing games and am quite competent on the techie side of things and now i want to build and design my own webpage.....at this, i am a complete novice!

Any one give me any hints tips/opinions, regarding software....starting points, any decent web tutorials aswell would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks Guys and Gals

Damo

By the way i realise i have mis-spelt beginner!!!!

Frontpage, if you have it as part of an MS Office suite, has to be one of the easier software solutions to use and there's not much it can't do once you get the hang of it. It's much maligned by some who obviously don't appreciate the full extent of its capabilities. Many professional web designers use it.

The important thing to remember about Frontpage is that the awful themes it ships with are all fully customizable in every way (fonts, colours, backgrounds and so on) but overall it makes things easy for you and allows database integration, Office integration and you can also use mainstream hard code (JavaScript, DHTML and similar) to pep things up a bit.

Dreamweaver is king and you can get a fully functional 30 day trial form the Macromedia website, but he learning curve is comparatively steep.

Other possibilities at the top of the scale could include Adobe GoLive, then you also have Namo Web Editor a little further down the ladder, followed by products like the excellent (and inexpensive) CoffeeCup HTML Editor.

There are lots of free HTML editors and if you get to know your code any simple text editor is all you need, but this is the hard way of doing things and all you get is cheesed off and strange looks from your friends when they find out you hard coded your site...

If you'd like some specifics, feel free to ask for further information.

A very great deal of my yearly income comes from website design and I use all the mainstream software solutions as well as my own web and programming code.

Regards

Taran

Guest whizwrinkly

I haven't been at it that long, only got internet last April but got hooked.

The way I learnt myself basic HTML was to take a free website at 20m.com (you get a few ads, but who cares for free?). I got bored with their templates and layouts and pried a bit further. You can go into the file manager, delete all their settings and experiment with your own code using their tools. I ended up making a website from scratch just by looking at the code. It doesn't matter if you end up with a crap site, no one will see it if you dont want them to. Try it.

Once I got the bug, that was it. I am now working on an ad free site (apart from the ones I choose to include) with One and One, who I find to be good hosts and fairly priced.

Try 20m first and see how you get on.

Good luck...

Guest whizwrinkly

:( Taran

You are obviously a lot more experienced than me, but I noticed you never mentioned Net Objects Fusion as a contender. I think it's brilliant but then never having tried any of the others, I may be missing out. Have you tried it? I must admit that the reason I started using it was that it came free with my one and one package, but if you think the others are better I may give one a try.

I'm glad bigdamouk asked this question because this year I intend to design my own web site even though I've got only a rudimentary idea of how to go about it. I saw madboy33's sites when he posted them for comments on the PCA forum and MichelleUK's and that made me think about doing one myself.

I did a one-day Frontpage course quite a while back (didn't learn much - prefer to mess about with a program myself armed with a book) and Taran recommended Frontpage so may be I will try it (I've got Office 2000 Professional but no Frontpage with it).

I feel quite enthusiastic about it now - hope I feel the same tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks to bigdamouk for starting the thread and to all who have given advice. May be we can swap notes when we get started, bigdamouk.

Thanks again to all. :rolleyes:

No probs peter e, ive still not decided on software yet.......using front page means me having to buy ms office.......might give some of the free ones a go....ive heard a lot about dreamweaver but also as taran says its supposed to be pretty hard to master....ho hum! :wacko:

Hi bigdamouk

Madboy recommended serif web page 6 - it's free - I like free! I understand you can convert pages to HTML in Word. In Publisher there's a create web site from current publication command. May be I will have a look what that's all about tomorrow. I'm not too bad with publisher but I've never needed to use that command before. Perhaps I will also try Serif 6 as well.

I suppose that although in a lot of these web design programs you can design your site on the page (as it were) you still need a working knowledge of HTML (mmm, sounds like hard work). If I come across any useful stuff I will let you know.

regards

peter e