Shared Folder: switch user if insufficient rights

Alexei

Hello, I have a question about how to configure the server to share folders so that:

Goal: Logged in users have to enter a different username and password if they try to access a windows share they don't have permissions to. (Normally they just get an access denied message.)

Operating system used as server: Windows Server 2003 Standard, easy filesharing is disabled

Operating system used as client: Does not matter! (Win2k, WinXP, Vista)

I hope someone can point me into the right direction, anny suggestions (apart from workarounds) could help.

Thanks in advance,

Alexei

PS: I have searched the net for several hours for any combination of the following keywords and found nothing that helps to solve my problem: windows-share (different|switch)-user access-denied (login|logon)-dialog.

Please consider before responding:

This is not a client issue. This scenario works perfectly on many network harddrives so I assume it works with windows too. The "net use" command ist *NOT* a solution but a dirty workaround. It has to be userfriendly.

This is not a client issue. This scenario works perfectly on many network harddrives so I assume it works with windows too.

What operating systems does it work the way you want with?

You could try the following:

Open Windows Explorer, click on Tools then select map network drive. Enter the path to the network share (\\servername\sharename)

Click Connect using different user name. Uncheck Reconnect at logon if you don't want the connection to be permanent.

if it serves your purposes.

The most common way to control access though, is by providing it at the right level for a given user. Then you can enable auditing to see what actual user accessed a folder when.

Are you giving people another user's login and password to use when they try to access folders they aren't supposed to get into?

Thank you for your answer. Perhaps you're right. I did not make myself clear enough. My purpose is that:

• Users login as a guest first. They can access some of the shared folders. (works)
  • Other shares are for members only so they have to type in a username and password when they try to access them. (does not work - they get an access denied error)
  • A member can get higher status so he can access even more folders including the ones for guests and regular members. (so they have to be able to switch to another username easily)
  • People with different priveleges access the server through a PC which is accessible to all members. (same as above)
  • Because members come and go I cannot assign every member a username and password.

The network drive is a user-unfriendly workaround and not acceptable. This is what I meant by saying >>The "net use" command ist *NOT* a solution but a dirty workaround."<<

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay Alexei,

I think what you're trying to set up is kind of a kiosk configuration.

I found this utility by doing a quick Google search:

http://www.emailarms.com/products/internet_kiosk.html

I'm not endorsing it in any way, but it may be something along the lines of what you're looking for?