Router Attached Devices Problem

Swift

I've just recently had to recover my + dad's computer after SP3 messed it right up. I have now discovered that some strange network activity.

Here's the strange thing:

I have discovered that my dads computer, which is connecting wirelessly to the router has a constantly changing device name!! (e.g 1sec it will say DN = workgroup. do a refresh DN = XGT654SD)

Any ideas to why the device name is constantly changing by itself????

That's a pretty extreme symptom. My first suspicions would be a virus or malware. Do you have good anti-virus and anti-malware installed?

Does it affect your ability to get to the Internet on that computer?

I have Trend Internet security installed. However it wasnt install before i used the internet for a couple of days as i need to go on the net to get the install key to install it. No i didnt have any problems connecting to the internet. After further investigation this weekend, i have discovered that it is in fact my Dad's computer which has the ever changing device name. Which makes me think that his computers been infected with a virus. What do you think??

Run a full scan with the installed AV system, or do an online scan from http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ (use v6.6, as it is easier and faster than v6.5).

Always make sure that a computer is free of malware before you install any update as large as a service pack. Have a look at this post for some basics before installing a Windows service pack