sharing with user/password on Windows2003server

romanian

Hi,

from the begin i apologise if my english is poor :flowers:

I'm using for the 1-st time windows 2003 server. i want to make a file sharing server, and a proxy for 100 users. The problem is theat I want people from network to access shared folders by entryng a user name and a password. I cand find no article with explanation HOW TO!

til now i create 3 users with password. 2 admins and 1 limited. when i share a folder and accesed fom another computer by \\xx.xx.xx.xx it not ask for a user and password like '98. i try to modify Local Security policy but no solution :(

please give some clues to solve this essue!

br romanu

no, i didn't done theat.

thank you for quick reply :hi:

now i remove Evryone access, and i choose "user" and when i try to acces thru the network it give me "\\xx.xx.xx.xx\kit in not accessible. you might have the permision...". it not asking me for enter a user name and passsword!

how can i solve this problem? now is ok theat nobody can browse to my shared folder, but is not good becose even me can't accesse :)

b.r.

i try to edit my erlyer post but did not work!

i manage to conect to a shared folder, with map network drive, using diferent user name and password. but when i try to access from explorer same, you dont have permision.

Q: How can i make win2003 to prompt for user/password?

b.r.

It should prompt automatically if you're trying to connect to a shred resource. You can try setting the same rights on the Security tab as you have on the Sharing tab and see if that makes a difference. Remember to explicitly add the Administrators group on the Security tab along with any others you want to grant access to.