HELP!!! LOGON ISSUE ON WIFI NETWORK XP + 2K

dottor_renzi

Hi guys,

hope somebody will help me to overcome an issue. I literarly going crazy around it.

I have to pc, one desktop and one laptop, connet to internet through a wifi modem/router.

The desktop has a printer and has Win 2k professional

The laptop has win xp home.

I have shared a portion of the drive and the printer in the desktop in order to be able to access to data and to print from the laptop.

once from the laptop I try to access for the first time (after the startup of the laptop) to the shared folder in the desktop, i need to logon with username and password (of one desktop user..). From this moment on I do not need to enter the logon data enymore and i can freely use the printer from the laptop.

However if I reboot the laptop, then i cannot use the printer unless i do not try to access to the share folders and I enter again the logon data.

How may I overcome this and made the access to the shared automatic?

Hope some of you may help,

thanks in advance

dRR

ps

I know, I should replace w2k...but i need this working now...

Make sure both computers are in the same workgroup, and make sure you have a common username and password on both computers, and make sure that username can access the resources you want to share.

The procecure should be similar for both computers.

These steps are for Windows XP. Although the tabs may be named differently on the 2000 computer, you whould be able to follow:

1. Same workgroup, Windows XP computer:

Right click on My Computer and select Properties.

Click on the Computer Name tab. (this tab is called Network Identification in Windows 2000)

Click on the Change... button.

Take note of the Workgroup name.

Same steps on Windows 2000 computer.

Make sure the workgroup name is the same. If not, change one to match the other.

2. Common Username and Password, Windows XP computer:

Right click on My Computer and select Manage.

Click on Local Users and Groups.

Click on Users.

Click on Action in the menu, and select New User.

Create a username and password.

(On XP Home, you may have to select User Accounts from Control Panel.)

Same steps on Windows 2000 computer.

Create the same username if it does not already exist, and make sure the password is the same.

3. Share resources.

On the Windows 2000 computer, right click on the file you want shared. Click on Properties.

Click on the Sharing tab.

Click on Permissions.

Add the common user account and grant the level of access you want that user to have.

Similar steps for the printer.

Hi, and thank you very much for your tips.

I have solved my issue, there was a mismatch between the passwords of the user on the 2 PC...

Now I need one additional help.

The two PC previously mentioned are my home PCs. Time to time I use also my office laptop connected to the home WIFI while working at home.

The oiffice PC has obvioulsy another domain name that I cannot change.,

How may I access to network printer (most important) and shared folders (nice to have)?

thanks

The domain to workgroup question is a bit more complicated. I know of no way to do that unless you have administrator rights on the domain you want to switch out of and back into without third party software.

Here's one software package I found.

http://www.netsetman.com/index.php?s=nsmpro#prices

I'm not guarenteeing that this software will get around the issue of needing administrator rights on the work domain to get back on the domain. Use with caution.

Another option may be to put in a username and password when you want to use the printer in the workgroup at home. That would not require a change out of your work domain, but may be a bit of a pain.

Another option may be to put in a username and password when you want to use the printer in the workgroup at home. That would not require a change out of your work domain, but may be a bit of a pain.

thank you for your advice.

Not having admin rights on my office pc I would prefer to put username and password, but how? i am not able to see the printer in my network. Could you please let me know how should I do it?

thanks

Try going to Start, Run, and typing \\computername then hitting Enter. Replace computername with the name of the computer sharing the printer. You should have a browser window come up with all of the shared resources on that computer including the printer. It may prompt you at that point for a login and password, or it may do it when you actually double click on the printer to install it.

Try going to Start, Run, and typing \\computername then hitting Enter. Replace computername with the name of the computer sharing the printer. You should have a browser window come up with all of the shared resources on that computer including the printer. It may prompt you at that point for a login and password, or it may do it when you actually double click on the printer to install it.

thnaks again. Now is working, at least fro printing.

While I was not able to "see" the printer exploring the network, typing the address as you suggested I am now able to print from the office PC.

I have one last issue. The printer is AIO, it has also a scanner built in.

To scan I need to install the software but it seems it is not working over the WLAN.

Any idea or do you know How to overcome this?

thanks again

dRR