I have webspace...But how do I use it???

Scarthy © ® ™

Hi :D ,

I have 20MB of webspace with my ISP. What I want to know is how can I use it? How for example can I upload jpeg's to it in order to link to them for people here??? Do I have to activate it somehow? Do I need to use any special software? Can it be done without software?

Any Help/ advice welcomed :rolleyes:

This is a new field to me on my PC so please be gentle... ;)

Hi guys,

I don't think they have a homepage? I signed up on the E-Telecom Sign up page I know they have a new website called Glow Internet and also an older one called Glow Telecom Homepage (old one).

I have emailed Glow Telecom and got a reply back...

Thank you for your email received 14/01/03, in respect of your webspace.

In order to use your web space 20 MB with E-Telecom you need to first have a web site that you have set up. For you to create a web site you need a HTML editor for example Microsoft FrontPage. Once you have created the web site you need to make sure that the main page is saved as index.htm so that when someone goes to your we site it will go to that page first. Once your web site is ready in order to get it published on the Internet you need what's called an FTP program for example Cute FTP, Terrapin FTP. You can download free trials of these programs from the Internet. The uploads server is ftp://uploads.webspace.xxxxxxxxxx.net You also need to enter your username (xxxxxxxxxx.evesham.net) and password in to this. You should then be able to go on to your web site which will appear at www.xxxxxxxxxx.evesham.net

If you have any queries then please email us or call our technical support line and we will be happy to help.

Best Regards

ISPSupport

So....I have M$ Frontpage and am going to get Cute FTP (which version will be the best one? CuteFTP Pro 3.0 or CuteFTP 5.0 XP???) from a link. I assume that I now need to create a homepage. Can this be done in Frontpage without knowing about HTML code??? I only know a little BASIC from the 1980's - hehe <_>

Some may not agree but I've ended up using WS_FTP (http://www.ipswitch.com/_download/wsftppro.asp) for FTPing and have never had any problems. Its quick to load and does the job simply and well. It may be worth downloading a copy of that.

Once you have your FTP app installed you just need to configure it as per the instructions given.

Hostname/address is ftp://uploads.webspace.xxxxxx.net

User ID is xxxxx

Password is xxxxx

(I take it you know the password/userid!) You shouldn't need to change any settings.

As for Frontpage, ho hum, never really used it and never worked out how it should work, there is always this fuss about frontpage extensions on the host so it all seems like hardwork. Post back if you want more details about creating websites.

Yes I have all the user data and passwords etc. :D

So do I have to go and get my head around HTML code???? :( Or is there an easier way of designing websites? :unsure:

What other methods of making sites are there besides M$ Frontpage??? :blink: Which method do you use Sir Radfordin????

Thanx for input mate ! :rolleyes:

Well..

Started off using Netscape Composer (nice little package that one!)

Worked with that and notepad, with a bit of help from google for the HTML code...

Then went up in the world and got a good grounding in web design using Dreamweaver UltraDev at Uni, and am now making good used of Dreamweaver MX.

If netscape composer is still around, go for it is so simple!

Best way to do web design is a bit of WYSIWYG editing and the real html in notepad.

Well I got CuteFTP and have used M$ Frontpage to do this test page... Scarthy's Homepage

It is crap, but it is a start....I now need to do some research on M$ Frontpage and Dreamweaver MX.

:D :D :D

Will this day go down in the history books for the Web????? ....................No I don't think so....hehehe :blink:

Links????.......................I haven't worked them out yet... ;)

You can't expect miracles ! I have only had my comp 10 months...hehehe

I don't know how I managed the site as it is? :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW your site doesn't let me in..I get "You are not authorized to view this page"...You trying to hide something Sir Rad???? ;)

Thanks madboy33, all I need now is the time to tinker about with it.... ;)

I am a little cofused as to what I upload? Do I have to upload the pages I use, plus all the graphics as well seperately? Or do I upload all the files that CuteFTP displays? You see it displays alot of folders that aren't in the 'myweb2' folder for Frontpage, with names like "_vti_pvt"????