Vista on a workgroup

chaznsc

I am a volunteer at a local non profit with their networking and PC issues. We have W2k and XP machines on the network and Windows server on the workgroup server.

We had a donated machine that has Windows Vista Home Premium on it. Its on the network, but the shared drives require an administrative logon every time we restart or log on to the network.

Can someone explain this behavior and possible solutions?

chaz

Hi chaznsc,

Not too many of us (myself included) are up on Vista. What Operating System is the Server using? Are you sure it's a workgroup and not a domain?

I think Vista Home should be able to join a Workgroup, but based on previous Microsoft Operating System releases, a Home Opearting System will probably not be able to join a Domain.

Hi chaznsc,

Not too many of us (myself included) are up on Vista. What Operating System is the Server using? Are you sure it's a workgroup and not a domain?

I think Vista Home should be able to join a Workgroup, but based on previous Microsoft Operating System releases, a Home Opearting System will probably not be able to join a Domain.

Im not really UP on vista either. The "server" has 2003 server Enterprise edition (dont ask me why, I unherited the system). The network functions like a workgroup however, the only logins are to the local machines. And I can SEE the network resources, installed a NW printer, and can MAP drives. Upon logging off and back on, those MAPS require the admin username and password. I have mapped them with using another UN and PW to no avail.

Im thinking this OS just wont work for the intended use.

Thank you for your kind reply, and for this forum.