Windows NT as backup domain

truebytes

Hello,

I have one windows NT server as backup domain for windows 2003.

I need to change the password for the users who are in windows NT. But I am not able to access

the User Manager for Domains in Windows NT. When it is been accessed getting the error

"couldnot find domain controller for the domain". I have tried to chang the password for the Users who are

accessing Windows NT from Windows 2003. But it doesn't work. It doesn't reflect.

Can anybody advice how to change the password for Windows NT users ?

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Benny

Sorry, I do not quite understand the situation.

When you say "backup domain", do you mean Backup Domain Controller?

Windows 2003 is the Primary Domain Controller?

What do you mean "users on NT" and "users on 2003" - are these different domains?

And finally, who is trying to change the password(s) - the users themselves, or a network admin?

Hello Pat,

Thanks for the reply. Please see the answers for your queries.

When you say "backup domain", do you mean Backup Domain Controller?

To be honest exactly I do not know. When I join the company it was already there.

We have two domains Windows NT say HL-SERVER and Windows 2003 say SJED0001.

Some users are logging into NT server domain and other users logging into windows 2003

It seems. Becuase all the users are created in windows 2003.

What do you mean "users on NT" and "users on 2003" - are these different domains?

Yes. As I mentioned above these are two different domains, HL-SERVER and SJED0001. But I cannot access the User Manager for Domains in Windows NT. It says "couldnot find domain controller for the domain". But all the users who is accessing Windows NT are in Windows 2003 also. Though I reset the password in Windows 2003 there is no effect.

And finally, who is trying to change the password(s) - the users themselves, or a network admin?

Myself, network admin, tried to change the password from windows xp client which belongs to Windows NT. But not possible. However when I tried to access the User Manager for Domains from Windows NT it says "couldnot find domain controller for the domain".

Hope this will help you to give me a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Benny

I asked the questions to clarify your situation. I am not well versed enough in network administration to have the answer, but someone else around the world may have some answer for you.

Meanwhile try to search Google for could not find domain controller for this domain, and you will find many info - especially with Win NT and 2003. Let us know if you find something.

Hello,

For more clarity.

Have tried many ways. But i am not able to access the User Manager for Domains in Windows NT.

It says "couldnot find domain controller for the domain. Do you want to select another domain to administer". If I click yes, it prompt with a

list. If the domain name is entered, again it says "couldnot find domain controller for the domain".

But if the local system name is entered it fetch all the user accounts. But cannot edit anything. It says "the operation only allowed in the primary domain controller of the domain"

Please help.

Regards

Benny

Sorry, I don't know anything more about this. The Google search for your message resulted in hundreds of hits, all involving NT4 and 2003 servers, although on different requests. If none of these gave you any solution, then there just may be no solution...?

But I am moving this topic to the networking section; possibly someone over there has some additional ideas?

Yes. Its a mess. But it was already there when I join the company. I need to

rectify it, but cannot.

Let's keep aside windows 2003. But to retrieve the Users of Windows NT from User Manager for Domains

what can we do ? I just want change the password for one user which we usually retrieve from User Manager for Domains.

Regards

Benny

Windows 2003 does not use the "Primary Domain Controller (PDC)", "Backup Domain Controller (BDC)" model like Windows NT does. Why use two domains? Is it possible to migrate all the users to the SJDE0001 Domain on the 2003 Server?

It sounds like you've inherited quite a mess.

If all users are created on the Windows 2003 Server, then all accounts are in the SJED0001 Domain. I'm not sure how you would be able to manage users created in the SJED0001 Domain on a Windows NT Server in the HL-SERVER Domain. Ignoring the fact that one is a Windows 2003 Server, and the other is a Windows NT Server, if all users are created in one domain, I don't know how you could manage their accounts on a server in another domain.

Some Users are created in Windows NT. The same users are created in Windows 2003 also in addition to the other users (not by me. my precedor did it. No idea why he did it).

Some winxp systems are configured with windows NT domain and others with windows 2003.

Now the problem is I need to change the password for the users which is login to windows NT. But the User Manager for Domains cannot be opened. It says "couldnot find domain controller for the domain".

Regards

Benny

If all users are created on the Windows 2003 Server, then all accounts are in the SJED0001 Domain. I'm not sure how you would be able to manage users created in the SJED0001 Domain on a Windows NT Server in the HL-SERVER Domain. Ignoring the fact that one is a Windows 2003 Server, and the other is a Windows NT Server, if all users are created in one domain, I don't know how you could manage their accounts on a server in another domain.

Now the problem is I need to change the password for the users which is login to windows NT. But the User Manager for Domains cannot be opened. It says "couldnot find domain controller for the domain".

I understand the dilemma. If it is a Backup Domain Controller with no Primary Domain Controller (PDC) for its Domain (the HL-SERVER Domain), indeed, it will not be able to find the domain controller for the domain. You would have to bring a PDC online for that domain, or promote the BDC (assuming it is a BDC and not already a PDC) to a PDC.

You use the dcpromo command to do this.

I suggest you get a good handle on what's going on before trying to promote the controller to a PDC though. You should consider, as I've already mentioned, bringing everyone into the 2003 Server's Domain if possible.