Manual IP address setting always revert back to Automatic, Windows 200

loligoth

My company uses a Windows Sever 2003 Enterprise Edition system, when I set the server's IP address via Network Connection -> Properties -> Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Properties and choose "Use the following IP address" and fill out the IP address, Subnet mask, etc. etc. then press OK, OK, the IP address will be successfully set and the server will connect to the network okay. However if I open the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Properties page, it will be shown that the selected option is reverted back to "Obtain an IP address automatically", despite the current IP is still manually set and working fine, as in the Network Connection Status page says "Address Type : Manually Configured" with the correct IP address setting listed under it. The connection will remain fine until I reboot the system, then the "Obtain an IP address automatically" setting will take effect, and the server will fail to obtain an IP address and unable to connect to the network, and I had to do a manual IP configuration again. So this forces me to set the IP address manually each time the server reboots, which is very annoying. Any idea what caused this and how to solve this problem? Thanks. :0

I've never run into those symptoms before, but some things you can check that may help you:

1. Check the event logs for any errors if you haven't already done so.

2. At the command prompt, type ipconfig /all and see how the adapter is listed after you manually configure it and look for any other settings that don't look right.

Are you running any applications on the server that may affect network settings like ISA Server, or RRAS?