DNS Error?

davidt_04

I have a laptop that used to be able to connect to the internet. Now for some reason it doesn't, and I can't figure out why. When internet explorer opens up the page doesn't load, and at the bottom it says "Cannot find server or DNS Error" I tried plugging in an extra wireless card I had laying around, and it doesn't work on that either.

The confusing thing to me is that it still shows my wireless network, and says that I am connected. The settings for the TCP/IP were initially to find the IP address/DNS automatically. When it was set in that fashion, I couldn't 'ping' out using the command prompt. I went through and set the IP/DNS manually based off the laptop I am running now. After doing that I was able to 'ping' but still cannot connect to any websites.

All firewalls are off.

IP address: 192.168.1.101

Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

Hopefully this is enough information to help solve the problem. If I left anything out, please let me know.

Also, when I run a troubleshooting utility on windows messenger, it gives me an error for 'DNS' and 'Key Ports'

Thank you.

Edit: Windows XP

You're on the right path. If you can ping by IP Address, but not by name, then DNS name resolution is not working. Please go to start, run, and type cmd in the Open dialogue, then click Ok. In the command window that opens, type ipconfig /all. You should see DNS servers listed there. Try to ping them.

It's a little unusual to have a class "B" subnet mask (255.255.0.0) with a 192.168.x.x network. How does your computer obtain its IP address? Do you have your own router, or do you get your IP straight from a cable or DSL modem?

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I am getting a response when I ping the DNS servers. The subnet mask (255.255.0.0) was what showed up on the computer at first. I have since manually changed it to match my other computers on the network to (255.255.255.0) and it still doesn't connect.

I am connecting using a linksys wireless router. The IP address I assigned myself (based on the other computers) because it was not finding one automatically.

If you assign static IP Addresses, you also have to assign the DNS Servers manually. Make those the same as the DNS servers on one of your working computers. Make sure your address doesn't conflict with any other computers or the router. That means, make sure the address has the right network address (192.168.1.x) and mask (usually 255.255.255.0 for a home network), but that the last number is different from your other computers and the gateway. The gateway is usually 192.168.1.1 for a home network.

Do you have any security set up on your wireless network? Have you changed your passwords from their default values? If not, it is a good idea to do both once you get everything working.

Yes, the IP assigned is different than the other computers. I manually set it at 192.168.1.106, and the other computers are .100 and .104 . Also, I did go in and manually set the DNS Servers to the same as my working computers. The gateway is 192.168.1.1. The passwords are changed from default as well I will post exactly what I get when I type in ipconfig /all on the computer that isn't working:

[Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DBLWPC61

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : up.chartermi.net

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : up.chartermi.net

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN PC Card

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-C6-41-20-DC

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.106

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.213.60.93

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connecti

on

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-43-39-96-08

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>

Please let me know if any of this info compromises security on my computer.

There's more to a wireless connection than signal strength. You also have to establish a relationship with the Access Point.

Can you connect with a wired connection on the laptop using DHCP?

Can you temporarily disable security on the Access Point (router) and on the computer then try to connect? If you can connect with no security, check all the settings as you re-enable security.