Refresh cached logon script?

Rosco

Hi all,

I have an issue with my logon script. I have a logon.bat that runs logon.vbs (for historic reasons). When I run the script from the command line, it runs fine, but when someone logs in, they run an old version of the script. I have verified this by putting extra wscript.echo commands. I'm assuming the logon script is cached locally on each workstation? If so, how do I force the workstation to update its cached script(s)?

We have XP pro and 2000 pro workstations, running 2 DCs (yes I have checked, the scrips have correctly replicated between DCs).

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Rosco

Hi all,

I have an issue with my logon script. I have a logon.bat that runs logon.vbs (for historic reasons). When I run the script from the command line, it runs fine, but when someone logs in, they run an old version of the script. I have verified this by putting extra wscript.echo commands. I'm assuming the logon script is cached locally on each workstation? If so, how do I force the workstation to update its cached script(s)?

We have XP pro and 2000 pro workstations, running 2 DCs (yes I have checked, the scrips have correctly replicated between DCs).

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Rosco

OK I found the problem. The group policy was pointing to the logon script at %SystemRoot%\SYSVOL\sysvol\<DOMAIN>\Policies\<GUID>\USER\Scripts\Logon (as per doco). These scripts had been copied to NETLOGON on the DCs, but it is not the same location! I was changing them in NETLOGON, so the old version was being run when users logged in.

So now the questions are:

If I use \\PDC\NETLOGON\logon.bat, I assume it will not be able to use the BDC copy if PDC is unavailable?

Does the default location %SystemRoot%\SYSVOL\sysvol\<DOMAIN>\Policies\<GUID>\USER\Scripts\Logon map to "whichever DC is available"?

If so, is there some place I can copy my scripts so they show up in that directory?

Thanks for any help, ROSCO

Hi all,

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Rosco

OK I found the problem. The group policy was pointing to the logon script at %SystemRoot%\SYSVOL\sysvol\<DOMAIN>\Policies\<GUID>\USER\Scripts\Logon (as per doco). These scripts had been copied to NETLOGON on the DCs, but it is not the same location! I was changing them in NETLOGON, so the old version was being run when users logged in.

So now the questions are:

If I use \\PDC\NETLOGON\logon.bat, I assume it will not be able to use the BDC copy if PDC is unavailable?

Does the default location %SystemRoot%\SYSVOL\sysvol\<DOMAIN>\Policies\<GUID>\USER\Scripts\Logon map to "whichever DC is available"?

If so, is there some place I can copy my scripts so they show up in that directory?

Thanks for any help, ROSCO

Well I think I answered my own question (duh). But it just brings up another question - if the logon scripts are meant to go at that horrible sysvol location, is there any use for the NETLOGON directory? I've deleted the logon scripts from there, and put in doco with a pointer to the real directory.

ROSCO