DriverMax

post-1524-1251252807_thumb.png DriverMax

DriverMax is a new tool that allows you to download the latest driver updates for your computer. No more searching for rare drivers on discs or on the web or inserting one installation CD after the other. Just create a free account, log in, and start downloading the updates that you need.

DriverMax version 5.3 can download and update drivers for

• Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit - all service packs - all editions
  • Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit - all service packs - all editions
  • Windows XP 32-bit and 64-bit - all service packs - all editions

When to use DriverMax

- device not functioning?

- yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

- unknown devices in Device Manager?

- BSOD?

These may be indications that device drivers may be missing, corrupt, or outdated. Here comes DriverMax in handy.

I had a case this last weekend with a friend's computer that didn't have any sound. Device Manager showed several yellow exclamation marks, and no sound card.

Installed DriverMax, and it correctly identified all unknown devices. It does not offer downloads for unknown devices, but once you have identified the devices, it is easy to find the device driver.

Another case I had some time ago was someone who could not get Flash Player to work. I suspected a conflict with the graphics card driver, installed DriverMax, downloaded the latest driver, and voilà - all worked well!

Version 5 of DriverMax is still free, but also available with a paid subscription. The free version has some restrictions, e.g. a 30 seconds delay for each driver download, and a maximum of two downloads a day.

I personally do not recommend to update device drivers if they are otherwise functioning correctly. But I have to admit that I do it on my computers - all my drivers are on the newest level.

Also, even with DriverMax, driver updates should not be installed blindly. Sometimes DriverMax offers drivers from different manufacturers for the same device. For example last weekend's case with the missing SoundMAX audio device driver, I was offered drivers from three different manufacturers. However I knew that the integrated sound device was from Analog Devices, so I selected their latest driver.

Care must be taken when playing with device drivers; always have a full system backup in case something goes disastrously wrong!