"DNS name does not exist."

dellthinker

Hi all, first time poster. I recently decided to get into Windows 2003 server deployment for my network at work. I have followed most of the steps and im pretty sure i have a long way to go, will learn the rest in my MCSE courses.

Anywho, i needed group policies so i made a Virtual Machine running on a Linux server. Which is the win2003 server.

So far so good i made a domain, modified a couple policies and such and have a dns server running on it along with Active Directory.

However i cannot logon from one of the test XP Professional machines. I googled over and over and found nothing of use.

The error is the following:

The domain name Samiliproinc might be a NetBIOS domain name.  If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain Samiliproinc:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."

(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.Samiliproinc

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

Samiliproinc

. (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

Any suggestions? I tried restarting the net logon service on both server and client and nothing changed. Funny thing is, i can see it in network neihborhood on Windows and on my Linux laptop. I just cant access it. Why is that and how do i fix it? Thanx in advance!