Cannot connect to hotspot with laptop

prc292

Hello,

Ive registered to this forum in hopes that i can resolve an issue with my laptop wifi. ive been on many other forums and just cant get this figured out. ive been trying to connect to a local hotspot with my laptop. it is an unsecured connection. ive can connect to it no problem with my ipod, my brothers win 7 laptop and my sisters vista laptop. but my hp dv6000 just refuses. i can see the ssid in my wireless connections but it cannot connect at all. im actually writing this post from another computer on the hotspot connection so i know it's ok but for some reason MY laptop is the only one with a problem. ive tried updating drivers and rolling back drivers. ive even gone as far as reinstalling my entire os to start fresh. can anyone give me some ideas of things to try. im at a complete loss.

btw it has the broadcom abg wireless card. it connects to other hotspots fine. id really like to be able to hook up to this connection, as it is right next door to my apartment. i have a full signal right in my living room. and it is a free public connection.

thanks for any suggestions. let me know if any other info is needed.