Network Shares on Vista not visable between subnets

dbruce

I have two subnets at my house. One subnet is connected directly to a Linksys WRV210 router, which then connects to the Internet. The other subnet is configured on a Netgear Internet Gateway switch. There is a laptop connected to the Netgear via Cat5 and then connects to the Linksys via wireless with routing enabled (runs XP). The Netgear Internet interface is not being used.

Connectivity etc is fine between the two subnets, all routing works and connectivity, RDP etc is fine.

The problem, The PC's connected to the Linksys cannot access shares on the Netgear connected Vista or XP (Interface on the bridge laptop). They can however connect to a Samba shares on a Linux box I have running off the Vista box (Virtualbox)....which is on the same subnet. Firewall etc is disabled on the Vista box. The Vista box can connect to shares on an XP home PC on the Linksys router (so works going the other way).

I've temporarily mounted the shares I need on the Linksys VM and am sharing them through that (some irony there). I've also run a sniffer on a machine trying to connect to the Vista box from the Linksys subnet, and while packets are going out to connect to the share.....nothing is coming back (firewall or something I missed). When I connect a machine that was on the Linksys side directly to the netgear via wifi, the shares are visible.

Strange problem......anyone have a clue?

I'm MCSE from the NT 3.51 and 4 days and do networking design etc for companies. This isn't a basic routing or IP problem.