Hdd Compatability?

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

Hi,

I'm about to splash out on a new Hard Drive so I've been snooping around looking for a good deal.

I just found this one at Ebuyer and I think it is the one I'd like.

However my system is getting on a bit and I'm not sure if it would be compatible with it.

Could someone please advise?

System as follows (well....the relevant bits):-

Mobo is a Gigabyte GA7IXE4,sorry I can't link to it but here is the support site (it's in frames) http://tw.giga-byte.com/support/support.htm

256MB PC133 ram.

Win XP Pro

Cheers in anticipation

Shirl.

PS.If this is in the wrong folder could one of you nice admin chaps please move it to the right one..TA

Guest Timeforabeer

Hi Shirley :D

Personally...I prefer Seagate. I've had a few Maxtors before and I don't find them that reliable (although a few friends swear by them...I tend to swear at them) :P

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

Ok....This is a shameless bump! :o

The link mentions DMA/ATA 133 (Ultra) Fast drives as the interface but doesn't mention IDE.

I'm a bit of a hardware thicko........will this drive work in an IDE environment?

Cheers

Shirl

Guest Timeforabeer

Good evening Shirley :)

Just checked in the manual on your link and it reckons that your mo/bo supports ultra dma33/ATA 66. You can connect the drive to your ide sockets but, I suspect you won't be able to see the full capacity of the drive unless gigabyte have a bios upgrade. You also won't be able to use the drives full transfer rate. :(

Hope this makes some sense.

Guest Shirley_Crabtree
Good evening Shirley :)

Just checked in the manual on your link and it reckons that your mo/bo supports ultra dma33/ATA 66.  You can connect the drive to your ide sockets but, I suspect you be able to see the full capacity of the drive unless gigabyte have a bios upgrade. You also won't be able to use the drives full transfer rate.  :( 

Hope this makes some sense.

I'm even more confused now.

In your quote :-

You can connect the drive to your ide sockets but, I suspect you be able to see the full capacity of the drive unless gigabyte have a bios upgrade.

Have you missed a word out somewhere?Like the word "won't" between the words you and be?

Can you hazard a suggestion as to what my present system would see the drive as (In terms of GB?)

I would be buying the drive as part of an on-going upgrade....I realise that my present system may have problems with it....but will it work "OK" for the time being?

Cheers.

Shirl.

Guest Shirley_Crabtree
The BIOS limit to HD capacity is 32GB for old BIOS`s

My present Hdd is a paltry 10.2 GB so a jump to 32GB would be superb.(considering this is a stop-gap upgrade!

TY Paul.

Guest Timeforabeer

Hi Shirl

Yes..I did miss out the word "won't"(i've got 10 thumbs when it comes to typing). I've gone through the manual again to see if it mentions anything about maximum hard disk size, but, it doesn't. I had a motherboard similar to yours in my last machine and when I installed a 40 GB Maxtor drive I saw 32 GB. And yeah.. it will work on your present motherboard

Is updating your bios easy? My systems a year and a half old now so i suspect there would be an update available? Also where do i find bios updates?? ive not got my bios version at hand at the mo coz im at work.

it's not too bad. but the general concensus on updating BIOS is :

Do not update unless totally necessary

if you lose power or anything while updating itcould totally screw up your system.

to update you bios you'll have to go to the manufacturers site and download the bios setup file. then insert a floppy and run the setup which will copy the necessary files to the floppy. then restart and boot from this floppy which should load the bios flashing program and do its thing and your done.

most important thing is not to interupt the program while it is updating.

Guest Timeforabeer

i agree with prince of calcatta...

I,ve done a couple of bios updates before ,and, they are not something i look forward to doing...unless it's absolutley vital <_<

I,ve done a couple of bios updates before ,and, they are not something i look forward to doing...unless it's absolutley vital

When I built this puter im on now I had to update my BIOS from the start so it could recognise my XP2400 at the proper speed, I was not looking forward to it 1 bit but thanks to Asus it was a breeze, all done from within windows :o :o .

I originally tried to use Aflash which is what you are on about from a startup disk but it refused to work, so I had a dig around and stumbled upon the utility CD that came with my mobo, contained on this CD is a prog called Asus update, its a windows based program with a friendly GUI for updating your asus BIOS, all I had to do was show it the BIOS file I downloaded from ASUS and hit "Update" and it did the rest! all from within windows :o :o then a restart and BIOS configuration session later and the process was complete B) B) B) B) B)

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

Well....I did a bit more digging today and it seems that my bios supports up to 75GB HDD :D

No need for a bios update!!

Thanks all for your help,I'm very gratefull.

Shirl.