Moving from Workgroup to Domain

Baldur2630

We have a small lab / test network. Until recently we were 90% Novell (non-Linux), but it light of their current performance, we decided to dump them and move over to a Microsoft / VMware environment. The only thing non-Novell were to Primary and Secondary DNS Servers and the DHCP and they were on Windows 2003 Servers. Everything is Virtualized on VSphere

I've installed Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 Servers to replace the NetWare boxes. I moved all the files and folders onto the new Windows machines. I installed s Windows 2003 Server and promoted it to a DC, but I used the existing Primary DNS Server when it came to that part.

We've put the workstations and the Virtual Workstations into the Domain, in fact everything is now in the Domain except for the Primary and Secondary DNS Servers, one of which is also the DHCP.

My question is, should I also put the remaining two servers (Primary and Secondary DNS and DHCP servers into the Domain? Everything is working perfectly, except there is a lot of data (which isn't used very much, but we want to keep it where it is) on the Primary DNS.

Seems silly to have a Domain and just TWO servers in a Workgroup which is now obsolete?

Any advice from someone who has been down this road would be appreciated. I don't want to cause lots of unnecessary problems.

I personally think that all servers and workstations should be in the domain, but I admit that I do not have the in-depth knowledge to advise you of the consequences.

I'll move this topic to the networking section of the forum, where there is a chance that some experts may look at your question.

Hmmm, interesting. Looks like no-one seems to have any experience of this. Seems I'm on my own. So much for 'experts'.

I have to say the Linux forums offer a lot more help.

I personally think that all servers and workstations should be in the domain, but I admit that I do not have the in-depth knowledge to advise you of the consequences.

I'll move this topic to the networking section of the forum, where there is a chance that some experts may look at your question.