Service Dependencies

James C

Hi all,

First of all, I am not an IT expert, I work in Software Support.

My company provides an application that runs in a 3 Tier setup, Client (GUI) Application Sever, and Database (Oracle Schema). All are stored on seperate machines that are all on the same network.

Now our App Server connects to the Oracle instance, via a Service on the App Server machine. If a successful connection between the App Server and Oracle is made, then the Oracle database goes down, the App Server picks up the new connection when the Instance come back up.

Consider this: If a power outtage causes both the App Server and Oracle machine to go down, the App Server Service has to be started AFTER the Oracle Instance. If it starts before, then the connection is not made.

This issue will be resolved in a future release of the App Server.

In the mean time, does anyone know if it is possible to Configure our App Server, so that it is dependent on the Oracle Service on another machine?

I have successfully configured an App Server that is installed on the same machine as the Oracle Service, to be dependent on the Oracle Service. So that when the system is rebooted, the App Server starts after the Oracle Server.

Can I do this across a company network?

PC 1 (App Server installed)

PC 2 (Oracle Instance Installed)

Both are on network N1

If the network goes goes down, then the App Server Service on PC 1 will start before the Oracle Service on PC 2, due to the nature of each service.

Can I confifgure the App Server on PC 1 to wait until the Oracle Server on PC 2 has started.

Sorry for the long explaination.

James C

If both are re

I assume that both services (app & DB) are started automatically. I cannot think of anything right now to delay the app service until the DB service is up and running, although I think there should be a way.

If the app cannot easily be modified to retry the DB connection, you could write a little starter application, which would check for the DB availability, then start the main app and exit.

Thanks for the reply.

The App Server will be 'enhanced' to continue to retry the DB connection in a future release. For now I was searching for another potential solution, as the customer has a business requirement for the App Server to start after the DB Server, as this gives them a more robust setup.

I will take a look at the starter application possibility.

Regards,

James C