How do I manually configure IP addresses (Server 2008/Vista)?

I'm running Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista using Parallels on my MacBook. I'm supposed to assign IP addresses to both (this is a static IP address, if I'm not mistaken), as well as preferred DNS server and alternate DNS server. I know how to get to the IPv4 and IPv6 configuration areas in Local Area Connection Properties, but I have no idea what the difference is between the two. Furthermore, when I go to IPv4 or IPv6 Properties, I click on, "Use the following IP address, " but I have no idea what IP address to use. Is it the IP address of the MacBook, or do I simply choose a brand new IP address for both machines? Plus, how do I figure out the preferred DNS and alternate DNS servers? I know how to do ipconfig /all and all that, but in therm of assigning a brand new address/DNS server, I don't know what to do.

Another thing, whenever I try to configure a new IP address, it tells me it's an Unidentified Network. Should I be worried about this?

Finally, I’m definitely concerned about messing with the IP address of my MacBook. Although I won’t give out my IP address verbatim, the IP address for the McBook is similar to 24.158.240.88, and I tried altering it manually and couldn’t connect to the internet anymore. Should I do anything with that IP address? Or should I only concern myself with the IP address of my Server 2008 and Vista machines? I've heard that the IP can be in the range of my router, what does that mean? How do I find out my router’s IP? Is it the same as the IP for my MacBook? Am I way off here?

Help!