Solved-Startup Problem

Roly2000

Hi i just built a new pc with windows xp pro installed already.

However,,when it boots up,,it seems to do a very brief check of the hard-drive first.I`ve never seen windows xp pro do this before-even if it isn`t shut down properly.I used to notice windows `98 do this after it wasn`t shut-down properly,,a bar would come up and it would check the hard-drive for errors.

If anyone knows how i go about stopping this annoyance i would greatly appreciate your help.

The pc has 256mb SDRAM,AMD athlon XP 1900 Palamino core,MSI 6378 m/b,,60 GB IBM hard-drive (ATA 100),,

I`m worried there`s a problem with the Hard-drive ,,but it`s working perfectly.

many thanks,,from Roly.

:huh: Thanks,,but it`s not the windows XP loading screen-i`m fully aware of what that looks like.

It`s a bleak bar right across the bottom of the screen,,,and it fills across-similar to a hard-drive check that the old windows 98` used to do when it wasn`t shut-down properly.But i dont know if it`s the same as that.My examinations are questioning whether it`s a HDD check,,but maybe services loading.But i`ve never seen it before and i`ve builet a few comps.

But thanks for your help.Manybe more ideas?

cheers Roly :blink:

Roly2000

Is the attached image similar to what you are referring to.

If so, I would think that you have not got the computer setup right. With the cpu and ram you have this bar should not appear, I THINK.

It usually shows up on slower cpu's. This image is off a system with a P3 533Mhz cpu.

It may be worth checking your settings in the bios.

post-26-1063919169.jpg

B)

Thanks a million guys,,

I guess it`s not a problem then.I`ve triple checked everything and all seems in order(cpu is athlon amd xp 1900,and benchmarks well,ram is fine),,fsb is ok at 133mhz.I just flashed the latest bios,,still the same.I guess it`s just the way that m/b integrates with xp.

Thanks for your help,,it will help me sleep(!)

cheers Roly.

Roly2000

Have you tried bootvis http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/platfo...ot/default.mspx

from microshaft. This should enable boot up times of around 30 seconds. It also has a trace device which measures how things are loaded and the time taken.

Also have you checked what is running in msconfig startup.

I have 3 machines on x\p at the moment. The slowest, p3 533mhz is the only machine that displays that bar. The other 2 go straight from the post screen to the x\p scrolling bar.

Hope this may help.

p.s. microshaft say.

Fast Boot / Fast Resume Design

Updated: July 23, 2003

Customer research shows a frequently requested feature that users want from their PCs is fast system startup, whether from cold boot or when resuming from standby or hibernation. The Windows development team at Microsoft has taken bold steps in making fast startup PCs a reality with the Microsoft® Windows® XP operating system.

The design goals for Windows XP on a typical consumer PC are:

• Boot to a useable state in a total of 30 seconds

• Resume from Hibernate (S4) in a total of 20 seconds

• Resume from Standby (S3) in a total of 5 seconds

Boot and resume times are measured from the time the power switch is pressed to being able to start a program from a desktop shortcut.