Win7>Win xp

srvfan01

Hello... I'm am brand new to any kind of forums so please have patience with me. Thanx... I am running win7 now but want to install xp and have the install disc but after all files, drivers, etc. are downloaded it gives me an error "don't detect a hard drive" so it won't install completely. I have a feeling it's gonna be in the bios? (SATA/PATA). Tried to do a little research but I'm not "savvy" enough to go that deep. Any thoughts, directions would really help. Thanx

Welcome to the Windows Forum.

First a question: why would you want to downgrade from a perfectly good Windows 7 to a version that soon will no longer be supported? Wouldn't running Windows 7 in XP mode better achieve whatever you want?

Regarding your installation problem: do you install XP in a separate partition beside W7, or do you install it over W7? If the latter, did you format your partition first?

• 1 year later...

Hi

I have the same problem. It's a Toshiba notebook originally operating off XP. The University upgraded the licence to W7 but now not working there anymore and the licence has run out (as it keeps telling me). It's a backup computer (for emergencies when doing presentations) so don't want to have to install a new W7 but just restore the xp. I have the xp disk and licence legit. Like the post above, I have got as far as the xp installation telling me that it doesn't recognise the hard disk. I am scared to do any more without getting expert advice.