Is It Right?

Guest LB

There was an interesting item on the 10 o'clock news yesterday regarding a lady who took her husband to Switzerland to die. He had motor neurone disease and Switzerland is the only country in the world where euthenasia is legal. It was then reported that she will be arrested on her return to the UK for assisting suicide.

This begs the question "What the hell is this country coming to?" - The police let people run around drugged up to the eyeballs shooting people and supplying god knows what to kids and then decide it would be right to arrest an innocent lady for being humane and helping her elderly, incapacitated husband with his last wish which was to end his suffering.

When is the government going to open its eyes and do what is right - Sort out the real criminals and leave the innocents like Tony Martin (the farmer in jail for protecting his property) and others alone???????

Most of us will realise that what you, I and the rest of the general public think is not the same as what the government thinks.

To the government everything is just a statistic.

I stand to be corrected,but it is not legal in switzerland ,only not as strict as here,of course your spot on with your observations about the laws in this out of date country of ours. i will make one further comment"If we locked up all burglars muggers and all other criminals on their first offence,2 things would happen .1/ they could not do anymore offending while inside. and

2/ a lot of judges,barristers.lawyers,solicitors would be out of work.as re-offending keeps them in employment,so while they are out on remand they can still provide income for the law profession :angry:

i'll get off my soap box now

It is a thing that I feel should be allowed to happen here in the UK. If it were, then it would have to be strictly monitored. Motor Neurone is a horrible disease that slowly kills the sufferer. If a person want's the option of ending it now and not suffering, then they should be allowed to make that choice. There should be a system in place for such cases. There have been a lot of these cases lately and it is about time that something was done for the poor people who suffer from this terrible disease.

My sympathies are with Mrs Crew, the man's wife. She has nursed him for four years, assisted him to go to Switzerland to end his life - which I'm sure she did to comply with her husband's wishes - watched him slowly deteriorate and finally die. If that wasn't harrowing enough, she now faces prosecution (maximum sentence 14 years).

The police are duty bound to investigate but the whole affair should be handled in a sensitive manner and out of the public spotlight. If the Crown Prosecution Service decide to prosecute then they want their heads examined and they will have the overwhelming support of the public for Mrs Crew to contend with.