windows updates?

ivtec

Hi guys, i have a sony vaio 1.5 ghz 1g ram and i have w. xp with sp2 also run anty virus internet protect Mcfee and it´s been working ok but the windows update alert keeps telling me that my pc is at risk,my question is if i allow all the latest updates including sp3 to load on my machine will it not be to full since it's only 1g ram and 1.5 hard drive,and cause problems thanks in advance

Windows XP below SP3 level is no longer supported, and will no longer get updates. You really should upgrade to SP3!

However, when you say "1.5 hard drive", do you mean you have only 1.5GB free space left on your HD?

If this is the case, then you have indeed a problem. Try some serious cleaning of your main partition:

• do a full backup of your main partition to some external drive
  • uninstall any programs that you no longer use
  • delete any documents/pictures/videos/music files that you no longer neeed
  • run CCleaner with all possible options
  • run the Windows Disk Cleanup Tool

There are probably a number of additional things you can try to get more free space; I'm sure other forum members will post the ones I forgotten.

Let us know how much free space you have after this initial cleanup. (I recommend you run the defragger after the cleanup.)

P.S. the minimum free disk space to install SP3 is 900MB.