"The Volume bitmap is incorrect." Need help.

elguapo1991

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on a Dell XPS M1330

This is exactly what happened:

My computer was working fine/normally.

I restarted my computer to get to the BIOS settings (I was helping a friend of mine set his Boot priority and I needed a reference)

I missed the window of time where I could press F12 so I restarted my computer again.

I went into BIOS settings, changed nothing, exited, then logged in to windows.

After logging in, windows seems to start up normally for a couple minutes, but then everything freezes. I can still move my mouse, but the windows loading cursor appears over everything. This stays frozen indefinitly.

I restarted and booted in safemode. I ran MalwareBytes, Sbybot: S&D, AVG Virus Scan, and I defragged my computer. I also uninstalled extra programs and disabled most non-neccesary startup services and programs in MsConfig.

Tried re-starting again. Same freezing happened. Restarted in safemode, scheduled ChkDsk. Restarted again. ChkDsk froze at 98% at step 5 (after about 12 hours). Had to power down and start up. Ran ChkDsk in command prompt in safemode.

Every time I run ChkDsk in command prompt, I get this message at the end:

Usn Journal verification completed.

The Volume Bitmap is incorrect.

Windows found problems with the file system.

Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

I run chkdsk /f, then schedule it to run at startup.

ChkDsk runs at startup, completes within 10 mintutes. But I still can't log in if I'm not in safemode, and if I run chkdsk in command prompt, I still get the same message everytime.

I've also tried running startup repair both from the HDD and from my repair disc. Neither detected or fixed a problem.

I have also run sfc /scannow in commmand prompt a couple times. It fixed nothing.

Should I start shopping for a new laptop or is this fixable?

Do you have a backup of all your data? If not, make one (in Safe Mode) as soon as possible.

Next schedule a chkdsk

chkdsk /f /r /v /x

This will again run for several hours; perhaps run it overnight.

If that does not fix the error, try to format your HD and reinstall Windows. Use the backup to restore your data.