Help trying to connect workstation to the Network?

Foothopper

Ok so let me start out by saying that I know very little about computers or anything so I don't know if I even posted this in the right section or anything, so I appoligize for that much.

I have a Dell Latitude D 505 laptop / windows xp / Novell. Those are the best things I can say to describe what I'm working with. It used to belong to a grade school that my mom works at, and when they updated their laptops, I got this one.

When I turn on the computer, I get the log in screen, the way it should be. If this is relevant it is Novell ZENetworks Desktop Management. The usernames by default "student", because it used to be a schools laptop. There is no password so I click "ok" to login. Then this comes up:

Novell Security Message

The system could not log you into the network. Possible causes might be:

-incorrect username or password

-incorrect connection information

-expired password

-the workstations disconnected from the network

Do you want to log into windows?

Yes No

Instinctively I press yes to the offer of logging into windows which then boots up the computer and brings me to my desktop screen. Now I'm on the actual computer and all and I get a pop up that says, "could not reconnect all network drives". I usually just ignore it and go about my work.

Now basically what does all this mean and how can I fix it. I know that it seems irrelevant because as long as I can end up getting on, why does it matter, but I think that this whole thing may be the reason that I can't play a game online. I can play it offline but I won't let me get online cause it can't connect. Also, the Internet does work. I can click google chrome and use the Internet, just not in the game (which is minecraft, if that matters or not).

I know this was long and annoying, I was trying to be as descriptive as possible, hopefully you guys can put up with me and help me out! Thanks!