Sharing printer between Windows 7 and XP machine

us019255

I have a Brother HL-1440 on a new Windows7 64 bit box. I have a home network working fine. All the computers see each other, and see the network hard drive. I have set up the network printer sharing on the 7 box. The XP machines can see the networked printer, but not print to it. I have found a bunch of methods to connect and in short summary tried:

1. Adding a printer to the XP machine normally. It looks for driver on 7 box, can't find. Can't get 7 OS to install x86 drivers like the dialog suggests.
  2. Setting up the printer on the XP machine, including plugging it physically in and verifying that it works. I then change the local port to the windows 7 port. This is accepted, but when printing test page, get error printing and no print. The printer is on the Windows 7 machine as a USB device. I get the same result when either the printer is installed on XP machine on a USB port, or a paralel port.

I thought of purchasing a single port printer server and found a number for sale at a reasonable price, but the manufacturers do not list the Brother HL-1440 as being tested. It may or may not work and I don't want to spend ~$50 for hardware that may not work. Has anyone used this workaround with this printer.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how I should proceed??