I need help installing Hotmetal Pro 6 on Windows 7

I have been running Hotmetal Pro 6 on my Windows 7 laptop for about 3 years. Hotmetal Pro is a 32 bit web authoring package with features making it very simply for non-programmers like me to use. In 1999 it was bought out by another company and is no longer made. My version of Windows is the 64 bit Home Professional version.

For some reason the software stopped working last week. Initially I tried to change the compatibility of Hotmetal to an earlier version of Windows and running it as the administrator to no avail. I have tried to reinstall the software, again with no luck. As advised I have even deleted the software and tried to reinstall it.

The message that I now get is that my software is 32 bit and I need to contact the supplier of my software to order a 64 bit version. I have tried to use Windows own tool to fix the problem but this too doesn't work.

I have noticed that when I click the icon it appears to load for a few seconds but then stops and fades away. The visual Hotmetal icon remains on the screen and can only be removed by closing the laptop.

Whilst old this piece of software is brilliant in that it allows me to build pages quickly by just copying a pasting. In addition, my website www.warwickshirerailways.com has nearly 9000 pages therefore migration to another software programme is not practical.

Can anyone please please help me.

Many thanks

The last two. It would seem from the time taken and from the messages being generated by the installation wizard that all files etc are actually loaded. Its only after they have been uploaded do I get the incompatibility message.

Again my thanks

Mike

post-24706-0-93103700-1368030360_thumb.j

post-24706-0-99338200-1368030367_thumb.j

Ah, it's a 16-bit application. Windows 7 does no longer support 16-bit apps, even in compatibility mode.

I understand from your initial post that this is a web-design tool. Switching web-design applications shouldn't be too difficult, as they all do the same thing: making and maintaining web pages.

There are hundreds of free and paid web-design applications out there; you will have to go and look for a new tool that you will feel comfortable with. I have personally used a number of different tools over the years, but it's hard to say which one I liked best.

Currently I have two installed on my computers

• HTML-Kit: very easy to use, but you need to know your HTML

• Dreamweaver: no need for HTML knowledge, but so far I don't understand how it works

P.S. you write in your initial post that it is a 32-bit application, and that you have previously used it on Windows 7. So I kind of don't understand the 16-bit error message you are getting during the setup.

Either way, I think it's time to say goodbye to a 1990's web design app.