W2003Server update causes printing problem

Hi all

I am running Windows Server 2003, with all the latest security updates.

When printing a document with a mix of text and images (e.g. a Word or PDF document), a problem has recently appeared where the images come out as black boxes. After much trial and error I suspect that a bug has been introduced in a recent Windows 2003 Server security update. Here are my reasons.

1. When the problem first appeared I suspected my system had become corrupted, so I took a clean hard drive and re-installed everything from scratch. The problem is still there.

2. I tried every combination of re-installing drivers, both from the installation cd and from the internet, but the problem persists.

3. The printer is an HP Laserjet 1150 connected to a Linux server. Another computer on the network runs Windows XP, and it prints to it perfectly.

4. I have another computer with an installation of Windows Server 2003 that has not had any security updates, as it is not connected to the internet. I tried printing from that, and it prints perfectly.

5. I connected the printer directly to the USB port on my computer, and created a new local printer definition. I expected that to work, but to my surprise it also shows the same problem.

As far as I can tell, I have eliminated all other possibilities. The only common factor is an installation of Windows Server 2003 with the latest security updates.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Frank Millman