Can't Access CD Drives/Virtual Drives

ragdim

Been googling this for the last hour, and I still can't install a game via a virtual drive; keep getting "Windows cannot access specificed device, path, or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access". Using Win8

Checked the Cdrom registry key to see if it was disabled (it's not), and also checked gpedit to see if "prevent access to computer drives" was checked (it's not). Reinstalled daemon tools and deleted all virtual drives, unplugged cd drive cables, restarted, and reinstalled drivers, nothing. I'm at my wits end here.

Fwiw, I get the same msg when double clicking my physical drive with a cd in it. It says it's working when I check device properties, and I can right click either the physical or vd's and hit "open", and I can see that all the files are there, so it's working obviously. Tried 2 separate restore points from a week ago, still nothing. Thanks in advance.

P.S: tried wincdemu instead of daemon, and it didn't work. It created the virtual drive & brought up the loader, but when I click on the drive, it says "access is denied". I then tried alcohol 120%, & didn't work either. I opened the iso from within alcohol, and inside the program it says the media is loaded onto the virtual drive, but no autoplay option pops up. Also, for both alcohol and wincdemu, there's no icon on the drive under my computer (with daemon, the virtual drive at least show the icon of the program I'm trying to run).