Cannot connect to server on network

I have a problem connect to our server at work to map the drive we work on.

Previously it was working just fine.

When I try to log on to the server it gives me a error message like this:

SERVER is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this netwirk resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced.

I have changed the blank passwod policy from 1 to 0 and it did not work.

I have added a policy giving me access and it did not work.

I have changed my share settings to paasword not required to share.

Nothing works.

The server is running Windows Server 2003 R2 and my laptop is running Windows 7 Pro

Please HELP!

This can be a challenge...

• 8 years later...
On 10/2/2013 at 2:15 PM, PHOLLAMBY said:

I have a problem connect to our server at work to map the drive we work on.

Previously it was working just fine.

When I try to log on to the server it gives me a error message like this:

SERVER is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this netwirk resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced.

I have changed the blank passwod policy from 1 to 0 and it did not work.

I have added a policy giving me access and it did not work.

I have changed my share settings to paasword not required to share.

Nothing works.

The server is running Windows Server 2003 R2 and my laptop is running Windows 7 Pro

Please HELP!

This can be a challenge...

Hello PHOLLAMBY,

If you're trying to connect to your PC using Remote Desktop and login into the user account which has no password will get the error "Login failure: user account restriction." However, once you press the OK button, it will instantly boot you off the RDC (remote desktop connection).

The error occurs because Windows server R2 versions do not allow a local user to log on remotely through network logon if the user account does not set a password. To solve the problem, one must set a password for the user account you want to log in. You can follow the ways below to resolve the issue,

• Firstly, click the Start menu, search Run command, and hit enter to open.
  • Then, type gpedit.msc in the search and press enter.
  • On the left pane, navigate to Local computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options.
  • Now, look for "Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only" and double-click on it.
  • By default, the option Enable is set. Next, you must set "Disable" and click OK to save.

Now, you can connect to the server using Remote Desktop and login into the user account that doesn't have a password policy. Lastly, we'll have to make the changes to the registry.

• Firstly, press Windows key + R, type cmd, and press Enter 
  • Now, type regedit in cmd and hit enter.
  • Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
  • Then, look for LimitBlankPasswordUse on the right pane. 
  • Lastly, double-click on it and set the value data to 0.
  • Click on Ok to save changes.

Thus, I hope the above fixes help you resolve the error "Logon failure: user account restriction." If you still face any errors, you can update here will be glad to help you with the issue.

-------------------------
Regards,
Rex M