Cannot access certain webpages

jspeters

I am running a clean install of 64-bit Windows 8.1 on a new hard drive (1 week ago), although I have installed a dozen or so programs in the past week. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron, service tag D15JJR1. I am already plagued by an internet connectivity issue. I use Google Chrome (primary) and Internet Explorer (try when Chrome doesn't work) and the issue is consistent and identical across both browsers.

ISSUE:

For a period of time after exiting standby (maybe 1-2 minutes) if I try to access any webpage I get "The server at XXXXXX can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed." After a minute or two, webpages begin loading correctly. This would not really bother me, except that any webpage that I try to access during that period will NEVER load correctly until I restart the computer or wait 10-15+ minutes. I get the same result regardless of which webpages I access first (i.e. the first 3-5 webpages always crash indefinitely). This is reproducible almost always if I immediately use my browser, and the vast majority of my computer use begins online in a browser window that was open before standby.

I currently work around this issue by clicking through random webpages in my favorites that I know I won't need in the current session. I just keep cycling through random pages every 10 seconds or so until one loads correctly, and then from that point forward I can access any and all webpages EXCEPT those first few randomly selected pages. This is frustrating because if, for example, I forget and navigate immediately to Gmail to check my emails I'll then crash my access to Gmail unless I restart the computer.

I appreciate any assistance. Let me know if you need any additional information.