CHKDSK checking external disks automatically?

When running CHKDSK surface scan on system Restart, it seems to automatically check all external USB drives as well as the system drive (C:), on my laptop, without me prompting it to. Is this normal operation of CHKDSK, or am I just "lucky?" The USB drive that is currently being tested is a 3TB backup drive with several large drive images on it. I have been relegated to my (very) old spare laptop. It took several hours to scan one file, #24 in "CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)." It has since moved on to file #35 of 752. It's been four hours, so far....

It was run from "system tools" in System Mechanic. I thought, at first, that CHKDSK had hung up somehow, until I realized that it was testing the external drive. When there are several drive images nearing 200GB each, it definitely takes a while to verify file data! It took almost 24 hours to finish the scan. Oh well, lesson learned! Thank you for responding to my query.