I'm Designing My Website

peter e

I've been busy today designing my web site. I've got to catch up with bigdamouk. I was short of ideas on what kind of site and I wanted it to be useful - no one would be interested in me and my dog - so in the end I decided to do "An Introduction to Microsoft Outlook Express". Is this too ambitious? :blink:

I'd all ready written some worksheets on it and so I used these. Since it's mostly text with some screen dumps I used Word 2000 to convert it to HTML and it worked quite well. Looks OK in the browser.

I've got some web space with my ISP and Madboy has given me information on how to go about uploading stuff - but I'm not ready to do it yet. I want to complete the majority of it before I upload.

I know you all haven't got much to go on yet but I'd be grateful for any comments - things to watch out for etc and ideas to make it look a litttle more professional.

Thanks all.

Pete :D

Ill look forward to seeing it..........one thing i will say is dont use to many GIFs and fancy animations, these seem to clutter up the site and will cause excessive download times.

Keep it nice and clean and itll look great..let us know when its up.......

Regards

Damo

Thanks for the responses, Damo and Tony. :D

I have been investigating Word 2000 a bit more. You can convert pre-prepared documents to web pages - which seems to work OK but you do need to do some tidying up. But there's also a wizard which produces the web site for you (it seems a bit like cheating) which is fairly easy to use. You can import documents as you go along. It even puts the hyperlinks in for you. Images etc can be imported afterwards.

I've been in touch with my ISP and I've got all the passwords etc. All I need do know is design my site. Also, I use Adobe Photoshop Elements for messing about with my digital pics but I didn't realise you can use it to create animations etc. It should come in handy. Bisto recommended Paintshop Pro which I'm sure is very good but Elements seems similar so there's no point in buying the former when I've all ready got similar software. Thanks anyway, Bisto! :D

Well, must get on. Got a lot to go at.

Pete

(Tony - managed to include images in a posting. Did you see them? Thanks for the help).