As a freelance software developer, I often have to undertake the maintenance of various software. What should I know to perform my task faultlessly?

Well, maintenance is one of the most crucial aspects of software development. Pay scale shows that developers involved in software maintenance earn about INR three lacs per annum. So, knowing the different types of software maintenance might help you perform better at it. Usually, there are four types: corrective, adaptive, perfective, and preventative maintenance. Let us understand about each one at a time:

• Corrective maintenance

Software developers undertake corrective maintenance to remove a bug or error from software. They may also do corrective maintenance to make the software perform better and meet the users' expectations.

• Adaptive maintenance

New operating systems and platforms come up almost every day. So, the developers must upgrade the software to ensure it runs smoothly on those newer operating systems and platforms. Adaptive maintenance also helps you make the software compatible with new hardware and software.

• Perfective maintenance

As the name suggests, it helps to perfect any given software. Freelance software developers engage in perfective maintenance when the clients want the software to have new features. It is also helpful in perfecting the existing features to enhance the users' experience.

• Preventative maintenance

Preventative maintenance helps a freelance software developer prevent a given software from crashing in the future. So, it does not address any present issues but those that may occur in the coming time. It may not seem important but, it is. Any given software may become infected with bugs that can affect its functionality over time. Preventative maintenance ensures that such a situation does not occur in the first place.

• 2 years later...

I've been in the freelance game for a while, and one thing I've learned is that the freelance journey is full of highs and occasional loops. But here's a little nugget of wisdom I've picked up along the way.
While knowing these maintenance types is crucial, don't forget to keep your toolkit versatile.
Now, let's talk about leveling up your game even more. Ever thought about teaming up with an IT Outsourcing Company? I've found it to be a game-changer in my freelance career. When you've got a big project or need extra hands on deck, they've got your back.