50 Minutes Adn Counting Down...

Guest spook

Ordep - that kept happening me too.

Make sure you first type exactly as shown:

password PCA

connect 213.221.175.103:29963

I think it's the CAPITALISATION of PCA you need. I missed that for ages, and until Mundy again pointed out my error I had totally missed it!

It's Spearhead disk you need tonight by the way - I'll wait for you to liven things up a bit. Be disappointed if you can't make it - do try again!

:)

Good game boys - those maps are good - there's just the one I disliked, the first, but had fun getting killed on that ladder.

We should arrange to meet some place else, then, once IP hands his server over.

I will install the mIRC thing, but (and if it's not inconveniencing anyone), I'd prefer to just stick with me Windows Messenger and just pass my email address on to people.

Mundy an Ordep: Do you both reckon you'll get BF1942 (Retail), just to please the likes of me? We could at least play the demo - that would be much fairer to ask in the circumstances.

<_<

Spook - I'm unsure about BF1942.

Some of the reviews and comments from other players (including yourself) have left me undecided on this title. I've not even tried the demo, may give it a go. Comments from other members on BF1942 appreciated.

:unsure:

Give it a go - not 'another' member of course but Ordep will be able to comment there.

To be absolutely honest, I really love the game. I wanted to keep comments open enough about the game that the reader is aware of any pitfalls and has as much comprehensive detail as possible in order to make their own mind up.

Anyway, the best way is to play the game. Do try the Demo - I haven't even done that myself, since I was on dial up in the past and never downloaded it.

The frustration with this title mainly lies in the scope, and what it fails to acheive rather than what it does achieve, which to me, is spectacular. It certainly does have limitations in single player mode, and sadly I do not beleive EA to have done anywhere near like what they could do, to correct the limitations of this mode. Instead they concentrate almost exclusively upon the mulitplayer version, and for political reasons above anything else, I disagree so wholeheartedly with this approach since it is a selfish one. Many do not have the necesary speed of connection to make the most of this title, if all they are doing is dialling up to play it. Highly misleading at point of purchase!

It is typical of EA Games to go down the route of providing for the wealth of largely, US players, a game which can offer some fairly unique multi-player online potential. After all, the US largely lead the way in Net development and they certainly have the money to do so. Politics asides, the game is far from being a waste of money - any game costing £35 for the PC in my mind is expensive - but it's one of the better titles. Buying from GAME in town, you can always give it a run and then return within 10 days if you simply cannot bring yourself to play it. By the way i don't totally despair on the single player option, I quite enjoyed it - in some ways the crazy way your bot team mates played was not so dissimilar from real life idiots you see online. It's fun, it makes me laugh out loud late at night and the freedom and immensity of the map acreage gives for a rewarding drive or fly around. What other game can you jump in and out of vehicles, after crashing one into a wall or hop onto a plane wing while some other idiot is trying to take off? It's a game that combines many aspects I imagine of some other fairly classic titles, Il-Sturmoviktch or whatever it's called. I am by no means an experienced enough games player to decide the matter of buying this title for anyone, but I do highly recommend it. It's got a lot going for it.

As a final note, whilst I enjoy the graphics I did notice they are far less visually appealing than say, Spearhead or even MOHAA. You will need a capable machine to play it on though, but my own fairly modest specifications of Athlon XP 1900+, Geforce 4 titanium 4400 is enough. It's the ram more than anything you do need massive chunks of I'm afraid. I experimented with less, but found that even 768MB DDR PC2100 (CL2.5) ram even held it up some. I was running the game fine though, with bots at 400%. AI and CPU time for it set high, but only in 1024*768 since there is no option for 1280*1024 to select in resolution (stupid EA). Well, broadband is essential for online jaunts but I have played on 56k and gotten some pleasure out of it, limitations asides.

Strategy, is pretty much an area unexplored other than single minded and executed dashes to capture areas or steal the enemy's flag. I have done quite well at times, as often it seems the most simple recapturing of certain key points (the easier ones) goes neglected by the people playing. Find it quite easy and have turned in some good scores. You, IP and Ordep, as seasoned gamers, could probably dominate on your own. :P But essentially, having a communication system or pre-planned strategy of sorts and the opposition, I feel, (can't say anymore than that), would certainly tremble. I'm not sure how much fun that would be by the way, it's a lot easier than Spearhead I noticed. (You do still die rapidly and will be punished for most acts of Rambo-ism but you can also get away with some pretty remarkable feats of sheer daring - James Bond style. Unlike him though, you will definitely die but can re-spawn again.) There is a purpose to this game, which there is often not with the likes of Spearhead MP mode. Even with the few objectives you have in certain game modes on the latter title, I felt it was all over pretty quickly and became highly repetitive. So much so, I found myself dropping off and totally losing focus on the games I was playing - I need more stimulous personally.

Anway, my last note has again been breached so I hope all of this is some use to someone, even if not you Mundy. Ordep? I do hope you both look into the demo - I will download it or search on some old mag cover disks for it, an we can try it together maybe? We will need some joint purpose soon, I feel, to hold it all together. I must admit i am beginning to drift myself - no longer is my attention held by PCa for answering all those questions (or attempting to). The feeling that nobody cares is worse than not getting a response to the work you put in to answer those oft' repeated questions from the past, even. If no one's reading, then why bother? You're talking to yourself and sh*t, I certainly am now. :lol:

See me other post boys in "Black Hawk Down"

Tried several times last night, just cant understand it,

I know I'm doing everything right.

I've got mIRC installed, last time i was on, Waster was there.

BF42. hmmmm

I've got it out twice now from Game, as you probable know I'm not really into MP,

I really got it for single player, but I never got on with it, just not my poison.

I've got the demo installed, so you can give me a thrashing there any time.

Try the demo Mundy, see how you get on

I really got it for single player, but I never got on with it, just not my poison.

I understand Ordep. Best leave it well alone then.

Thrash you in demo instead? If only... don't concern yourself with being slaughtered, not by me anyhow. We could play it as a team, which was what I was hoping for. There's an inbulit team text messaging thing, Ordep - you can type so the enemy don't know and it's hard but it works. The more familiar we get with the other's style of play, map focused intentions (if you understand what I'm trying to say, the less of a need it will become.) If it goes well, maybe we can do the same for some other full retail game we all have? Maybe, that will be some time from now, but it doesn't hurt too much to think ahead.

The voice thing, has been mentioned by Ash and others - we 'could' try using voice commands/communciation one day, with the help of Roger wilco software, MS Sidewinder voice thing (Maby??), or similar. One day...

OK, I still haven't looked at installing the demo - I will though. Been horribly busy to day - damn Zen have ballsed it all up for me again. Never mind - think I'm slowly getting there though...

O.k O.k. Spook you've convinced me to download the demo at least, darn... after all that effort in the above posting I could hardly refuse, and you sound as though you need cheering up. :D

Ordep - when you say you aren't into MP do you mean BF1942 or all MP?

Ghost - I wanted to say this on the One Server thread but it is now locked (are you able to lock it as the originator or has one of the moderators done it?). May I thank you on behalf of the games zone for providing the One Server for the last month which has allowed us all to come out and play. Nice change to be running amok with or against all those familiar names (shame a few more couldn't make it). It has been really enjoyable, even though you kept embarrassing me by killing me so many times :( I reached the stage whereby I would leap out of my chair shouting "YES" on the rare time I was able to kill the pig... oink, oink. In fact last night I must confess that I reached the stage that whenever I saw that Commander Pig had been killed I would whoop with joy. Sad I know... see what you have reduced me to. :lol:

Anyhow, thanks again Ghost...

jump.gif

Guest The Ghost of Inept Pig

It was me playing with the features... Needed my power fix for the day, what with my server gone and all :(

Whoop with joy everytime I got killed? You must have been hoarse last night... Could barely stay alive... damn those rockets, damn those campers, and damn other peoples bullets.... :D

And I appreciate the thanks, like you say it's a shame we couldn't rope more people in... oh well.. maybe they'll come a time in the future when we can go through the entire patches/password/game peril again...

Oh how I'd love that :D

Ghost - Don't know if you noticed while playing the Malta map last night...

While I was running amok in the axis base looking to roast some pork :lol: Major ??? asked for help back at the allies camp as he said there were two guys up on the roof causing mayhem and to be careful as they were good! I knew it would be you causing trouble. I had to leg it all that way back to base to sort you out, you see I thought I knew all the hidy holes on that map (spent so many hours there when the demo first came out). I was so so careful creeping about trying to find you and you mercilessly cut me down... twice and I still didn't find your hidy hole. Swine. :lol:

Swine - is right.

Thanks Commander. I spent plenty of time getting killed on your server. I too enjoyed the moment of killing you, and I think I was fortunate I did not die more often at your hands. Twas very frightening indeed to see you and Mundy rampaging through the game, racking up all those kills along the way. Mundy, I have not forgiven for butchering me last night. :blink: But I am sure I will do one day.... :lol:

But... It's nice to have been able to find a little room out in the big wide world, to squeeze a little BF1942 practise in. The Jeep race had me laughing so hard, we went over that hill but only Inept survived. I exploded on impact - I guess the tires weren't up to the job supporting my lardy backside. Hee hee. Bocage, is famous for Jeep antics don't you know? You definitely won that one, Commander. But for technical style i think I'd have gotten a perfect score. Oh, and there was this guy named Pig Eater who came on later, so it's just as well you left when you did. Would have been very disturbing for you I feel, seeing him. He didn't last long though...

I played and have just come off a demo server for BF1942, Mundy. The demo contains the WAKE map. And this is basically quite a tough little cookie, shaped liked a horseshoe. (A crescent shape not edible I'm afraid.) The island is very hard to dominate from either the allied Americans side, or the invading Japanese. Unfortunately, rather like the EA Spearhead MP demo, EA do not provide any servers, and it's up to dial up modem users and the like (it seems), to provide the bandwidth. I can honestly say it is just about playable but pretty awful, really, when your ping is 467 on ADSL and it takes 5 seconds to stand up from the prone position.

Having said that, it does contain all the config options, but no single player to practise off those laggy servers unfortunately. I don't feel I could subject you Mundy, or anyone else for that matter, to this kind of ping ridden torture. IP and myself had a good jaunt though tonight and I noticed, possibly with the patch improvement, that things were surprisingly smooth where connection and lag came into things. Some good servers too. We did have some success, but it looks like EA Games have yet more work to carry out before it's trouble free gaming. We both crashed out of the game, or off the server due to what appeared to be extraneous problems and not either of our internet setups, despite me being with Zen.

Mundy, I'm happy enough. Got my fix tonight. Just have quite had it as far as Zen goes. Been working very hard you see, on fixing what does seem to be their problem. Stressed out I am. Even missed out on one of the only game help threads - I was sooooo disappointed not to have been able to chip in like you boys. You did well, especially Ordep. I realised I couldn't have really helped anyway. Feeling useless, yours Mr Tooth.

What do you do then? Hmm. Excellent idea! "Ping!!" A light switches on in the dark of Spook's mind. We could quite easily set the game up between ourselves and keep the bandwidth at an acceptable pinging. Say just us ADSL-ers and a limited few 56kers (if any wish to join from this place). And, theorerticaly, we can run the demo no problem. That way we can do whatever we like, you can all get to see if it works and everyone's a winner. Glad it's not a total waste of time then: it's available, is the demo, on the PC Gamer (Disc One) of Nov 2002 issue 115 by the way. That's where I got it. Oh, and there's a small problem with the flags not changing nationality in the game. Most annoying when you are trying to capture a point!

Spook....ive come to realise you are quite mad! :lol: :lol: ....But in a good way!!!!!!

Where can i get the b1942 demo from apart from the 2002 cover disc......wouldnt mind a jaunt through it!

Guest The Ghost of Inept Pig

You can download the demo from most of the links on here , and then you'll have to patch it (I think... linked to on the same page anyhow)

Anyway...

to ramble...

Indeed, Spook, you managed to avoid most of my channeled rage... it was quite impressive, as was your ability to turn up after I'd killed 5 people in a row and was dangerously low on health :angry: , no matter... twas a pleasure to play Spearhead with both you and Mundy.

I do remember the Malta map well, mainly because 'Major' kept running straight across my line of fire, and died many times before he got to get his revenge on me ( I'd like to blame lag- but he caught me reloading). As for the hidey holes - there is always someone who knows how to move around more sneakily than you... I just happen to be him :D

Battlefield 1942 was so much fun last night, be it down to Jeep styled antics (that race was sehr funny, as is running people over at high speed), or trying to type and fight a war...

Anyhoo, since I don't own the MP demo I shall download it... and we'll see about Spooks idea, I'm just wondering if there's enough jeeps on Wake...

Big Damo - I wish people'd stop saying that!

:P

That Jeep is a weapon in itself - I got caught out last night when this guy drove it straight into my tank and killed me. He hopped out just at the last minute - something I'm prone to do too, when it's me who's trying to take out those pesky tanks.

Damo, join us if you can since you've got ADSL also. Be a shame to waste it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS

It's 5pm just gone. Got to do some testing for Zen and BT. (Anyone know how to do that log on at BT_test domain thing? Don't know how long that will take.) But give us a shout in here or something, and I'll gladly join anybody later, ok?

Ordep, I think Captain's fine but Field Marshall might be more suitable in your case (creep), well, only because it conjures up the right image I have of you. Lol. Corporal will do me till I learn not to be so gung-ho, and die all the time.

Well I there's me missing the party eh, the more I hear of BF1942 and it's crazy antics the more I like it. I have a great imagination, I just hope my vision of a jeep with Ghost and Spook hurling over a hill are as good on screen? :P

Download now 73% 9 mins to go... :D