NTFS to FaT 32 ...

Guest Xper_me

Guest Xper_me

I got my disk formatted with FAT32.I want to format it to NTFS and install WinXp.If in the future,i want to change back the format of my disk from NTFS to FAT32,is that possible??? :roll:

Hi Xper,

3 ways to go here with pro's and cons of their own.

1. Install XP onto a new partition and dual boot

2. Install XP onto your Fat32 partition. From a command prompt type:-

Convert C: /FS:NTFS (asuming that C: is your FAT32 partition)

This is the quick way but leaves partition tables as they are and eventually they can become quite sizeable.

3. By far the best way would be to delete your current FAT32 partition and start from the beginning installing XP onto a new NTFS partition. (make sure you backup your stuff first though).

Unfortuneately you can't revert to FAT32 unless you repartition again.

Hope this is of some help

I'm using Partition Magic 8 at the moment, £32.19 from Amazon (had a £3 first order discount), received it yesterday. Very impressed with it.

You can revert NTFS to FAT32 with Partition Magic.

You can only use NTFS with XP and 2000 I believe.

you can convert a drive formatted in fat to ntfs without formatting the disk but you can't convert from ntfs to fat unless you reformat it in fat.win2k or xp setup gives you the option to format in the either fat32/ntfs during set up so you can use that or if you use FDISK you can delete the ntfs partition and create a new partition and format it in fat.