Freeserve Connection Kit

Guest ordep

Guest ordep

Freeserve is rolling out new dial-up software which it says will make life easier for its punters accessing the Net.

The ISP claims the free software, called the "Freeserve Connection Kit", can be downloaded in minutes. It kicks in if punters get an engaged tone when trying to get online and automatically dials another access number instead.

Freeserve began rolling out the software a week or so ago and expects to complete the task by July.

However, according to one hacked off Register reader the new software does not support Linux. He claims this was confirmed by Freeserve's tech support line.

A spokeswoman for the giant ISP confirmed this was the case saying that as a "mass market consumer brand" it "doesn't actively support Linux".

However if Linux users call the freephone number on the email informing them of the "Freeserve Connection Kit" then they will get a different number to connect with, she said. ®

Downloaded and installed mine yesterday, anything to improve the current performance. However, I now have a snag, my Freecell game has gone doolally. I can load it start a game but as soon as I move the mouse into the board area it changes to the hourglass and nothing more happens. I've removed the MS games via Add/remove programes, run Regclean, defragged in safe mode, re-booted and re-installed the games package but still the same problem. Any suggestions folks? :angry:

Made some progress following Djohn's suggestions to my thread over in PCAdv. It turns out to be the Microdialler for the FreeserveAnytime Connection kit. I de-activated this in msconfig (win98se) IE 6. Freecell is now running OK, but obviously the new conection kit is not working properly. Been trying to re-post back to Djohn on PCA but can't get it to go. Thought I might have done the dirty to my IE but this shows it's obviously working and must be the PCA site. Any suggestions folks? <_>

This is a copy of my last posting to PCAdv. following a nice pat on the bum by Our Nel.

I'll accept a bump from you anytime Nel. Anyway, Freeserve have confirmed my suspicions. The connection kit shares one of the Freecell files and ther's nowt that can be done. This connection kit is only used when dialling up for a connection. If the line is busy it will dial an alternate number. Once the connection has been made it is no longer used. So the thing is to make a connection and then de-activate it via Cntrl-alt-del. This I just managed but don't know what I did, anyway the freeserve icon in SYS tray has now gone and Freecell is working OK.

I asked a follow up question regarding the connection freezing after varying connection times. This was before the connection kit became available and the gentleman said there was no time limitation for Freeserve Anytime. He was not aware of the problem I described. click here. I will persue this further and report back, if I get a reply